Callling Mathematicians...

Fatty

Amy and I won the reverse raffle tonight....

300 tickets, our ticket was never drawn....what are the odds?

($1000 grand prize, last five agreed on 125, 150, 170, 200, 350 prize, so we got 350)

So anyways, to get your number called first would be 1 in 300, right? What's the chances of surviving for 299 picks?

GC Founder

Ya, I was thinking about this again this morning....even without the math it's much simpler than I made it out to be...every one of the 300 ticket holders walk in with the same exact chance...so 1 in 300.

It was darn fun. Had our whole table rooting for us. One guy, in his excitement after a draw grab my sholders and shook me while cheering...problem was I was holding a very full beer and sitting down. o0o

Yep, 1/300. Figured I'd just tell you guys what you already knew. :) I'll let you guys in on an easier way to calculate the odds than the complicated formulas they teach you: Instead of calculating the odds of each event occurring in the draw (299 draws = 299 events!) think about all of the possible outcomes: The rules state (from what I gather) only one ticket will be left when they are all called out. There cannot be zero tickets left, there cannot be more than one. So, you have 300 possible tickets (the sample space) and you can only choose one. Then, you're at your simple 1/300 with a though exercise far easier than I wrote it up to be. Ahh, the shortcuts you learn in upper-level math...I'd be glad for those years of my life back, actually.

And congrats, man! Personally, the law of averages say you should win that 1 in 300 times if you play an infinitely vast number of times, but if my experiences are worth anything it's more like 1 in a million! Lucky man! Of course, the only raffle I ever win anything in is the FragFest raffle (Coming again in 2006, be there or be a regular quadrilateral!)