Calling all liunx gurus!

bullet-401

Ok I intalled citrix and vpnclient on my dads coworkers computer and he gave me this old P1 system. I thought of making it into a ftp server with maybe linux.

What I Know so far:

Liunx is basically a server. (easy set up)

Mandrake is a easy newb linux

the computer specs:

p1 120 mhz

16 mb ram

1 gb hd (will prolly upgrade)

win 95 office

Now the question i ask is will it even run on that system with the upgraded hd?

If so where can i get a free copy of Mandrake?

lol ive been spelling linux wrong rofl

ive got a better idea, pull the guts out of the case, mount the motherboard to a piece of wood, screw the motherboard down to the trunk of your car, buy a 20 dollar DC inverter, wrap the HD in a ton of bubble wrap and put winamp on so that it automatically starts playing, and vioalla, you have a car MP3 jukebox with a HD for under 50 bucks. Thats what i did, and i no longer burn CD's i just copy them to the HD i mounted in my truck.

ive got a better idea, pull the guts out of the case, mount the motherboard to a piece of wood, screw the motherboard down to the trunk of your car, buy a 20 dollar DC inverter, wrap the HD in a ton of bubble wrap and put winamp on so that it automatically starts playing, and vioalla, you have a car MP3 jukebox with a HD for under 50 bucks.  Thats what i did, and i no longer burn CD's i just copy them to the HD i mounted in my truck.

hahaha!!!!

how do you change songs??? how do you open winamp?? do u have a monitor?

Ok and I just installed mandrake linux on an old p2 system, fortunatly I have 128 RAM and it still hogged all that. So i dont htink you can do much wiht 16.

Its a Pentium 200 mounted to the back of my truck with a 15GB HD that plays MP3's. This machine used to run DOS but the composite adapter wasnt accepting DOS's rediculous 640x200 resolution. I tried using FreeBSD but that had a partioning problem with that hard drive so i resorted to Windows 98. It boots up in 30 sec. and starts playing MP3's in winamp. Its even got a few simpsons episodes on it to watch if ive got passengers. VM and Writing to the hard disk is turned off so i can simply turn the car off and the computer turns off without any loss of data or problems. All of this power, including my subs require a second battery. In that year of truck there was a cigarette lighter and ash tray that folded down so i mounted the LCD panel for my computer on that ash tray so i could fold it down and up looks good during the day but looks really cool at night. The LCD is one of those cheap LCD's made to attach to a playstation for mobile use, i just took it apart and pulled the screen out and hooked it too the composite adapter, it shows a fullscreen of the winamp playlist with all the fonts at 24 so they are easy to see. Unfortunately i still have a keyboard in my front seat. i switch between songs with the number keys.