Space Shuttle Columbia

Guest InSaNiTy

A terrible loss, my heart goes out to the families affected.

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon. . . . Not because it is easy, but because it is hard. . . . Because there is new knowledge to be gained. We shall send to the moon--240,000 miles away--from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented . . . on an untried mission . . . on the greatest adventure. --JFK

Chief

The reason this is a big deal is because of the possible threat of terrorist attacks. Remember back to the 11th of September, 2001. That feeling will forever live inside of us, and things like the tragedy today make those feelings come back.

I will pray for the families of the victims tonight, and I hope you will all do the same.

Gunman

they said in no way is a terrorist attack.. and why are they calling the people heros?! how are they heros?! they did nothing but go up to a space station and then die.. they costed the american people thousands of dollars so they could take a joy ride up to space! and then they died.. im sorry thats no a hero to me. Maybe Im not getting the whole story.. or maybe i truely am heartless.. but i just don't get it.

I still feel for the families and what not, and i feel bad that they are gone.. don't get me wrong.. i just don't get it.

It's just that it is very high profile. I understand what you mean. Nobody spends this much effort for the people who are killed every day. The tragedy of it is that you have to work hard and be very skilled to go into space. Those people aren't born every day. You would never get me into a rocket ship...I don't even like to fly.

I too feel for the families. It getting so we don't think much of the space missions till something like this happens. We send many more shuttle missions up than I even know...heck, I didn't even know this one was up yet. What a change from sitting around the TV at school watching the first shuttle go up!!!

to you they may not be heroes. but who are you to judge people? the fathers on board were heroes to their kids, the woman was the first indian native woman to be in space (earlier flight) i would consider that quite an accomplishment. just cause YOU dont care, doesnt mean there arent other people out there that do.

and besides, it wasnt thousands of dollars, it was millions, perhaps billions. and why? thats where the future is.

They are "heros" not because they took a ship to the space station, they are Heros because they put their lives on the line for this Country by doing so. And in doing so, they advanced the Space Program (which, like Zweih said, is the future).

Putting yourself at risk for the advancement of others makes you a Hero in my book...

:(

To me they aren't heroes at all.. and still aren't though u have explained it.. and i think those people are born more often then u think.. if someone asked me today after this happened to go into space.. i'd do it! not because im suicidal and want to die (cause im not anymore.. hmph) but just because it would be an experience..

Like I've said before I still really feel for the families and I have lit a candle for each one of them tonight (thats how i deal with death.. *shrugs*) and I feel horrible.. but i really think you guys are taking what I said the wrong way.. I wasn't trying to be degrading to them.. i just really don't understand. You said that the fathers were heroes to their kids.. if you put it that way EVERYONE is a hero.. even murderers.. (think about it.. cause i don't feel like explaining it and getting my post edited)

and please don't tell me im judging people, because i don't judge people at all, or less than most people do. Just because sometimes I don't understand things and I'm only 15 and still a little bit ignorant to the world doesn't mean I'm judging.. I find it really offensive when people tell me im doing that because when i first posted about this I said that I don't understand.. thats why i asked for someone to help me understand. Not understanding is in no way judging and the fact that I asked for someone to help me understand is really surprising for someone who's grown up in such an ignorant town as mine.

They were heroes and it is a horrible tragedy.

This was a post to commemorate that ....not to friggin flame. What is wrong with you people.

I still remember when the challenger? exploded on takeoff and coming home from school and watching it over and over again when i was a kid.

Many kids will probably remeber this when they grow up. Sometimes things so small can mean much to many people. Especially in America where id like to think for the most part we give a $hit about people.

The loss of life will always be sad to me. Especially when its something like this.

Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guests

They were heroes because they dared to put their life on the line to advance the country into the future. I would like to refer back to previous heroes: George Washington, freed this country; Abraham Lincoln, stopped slavery and re-united this country as one; Martin Luther King Jr., pushed for equal rights for all men of all color, creed, and religion. These men were heros just as were the seven astronauts on the Space Shuttle Columbia.

Perhaps we should all light a candle so to speak, for yesterday morning this country lost six of its greatest men, and Israel lost their first ever astronaut. If it weren't for men like this, we wouldn't be nearly advanced, and we perhaps may not even be a country like we are today (see Cold War and Moon Landing).

Guest TF_Anon
Guest TF_Anon
Guest TF_Anon
Guests

This is why they are heroes:

I think these disasters hit the nations conscience harder because people view astronauts as sort of emissaries of the human race....not in the "take me to your leader" sense, but in that they alone go the farthest, the highest, they represent to us the pinnacle of human achievement and the extent of our reach. Since the days of the Apollo missions, astronauts have carried the dreams and the hopes of the people with them into space, we feel as if they belong to us in a very personal way. In times of such tragedy, we lose a little of our own dreams for the future.

They are not just heroes to the USA but to the world for leading us into the next adventure and the next evolution of our race. They are heroes for sacrificing their lives for this purpose, not for glory or fame or riches...for their belief.

Astronauts do not die every day. I have no problem with you being 15 and from a backward town that has no curiousity. I do find it odd that you think that a friggin' spaceship with human beings on board blowing up is not absolutely out of the ordinary. And thousands of dollars? For a 1000 dollars you could not buy one of the ceramic insulating tiles that protect the craft on reentry.

I will offer you this: if you are sincere about wanting to understand why it is significant, watch "The Right Stuff." When you're watching it, remember that we were in the middle of a very serious tinkleing contest with the Soviets--this includes nuclear missiles aimed at the United States located a mere 90 miles off the coast of Florida. The Space Race captured the world's imagination, and focused a nation's pride. And if you really REALLY are sincere about wanting to know more about why astronauts are heroes and how this wasn't just another car crash in rush hour traffic read this: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/...y/factsheet.htm

You have grown up in an age where travelling to space may appear to be routine because it is hardly covered on the news...but it is not routine. It is not an airplane. It is not a trans-Atlantic flight to Paris for your honeymoon. 7 people did not die in an accident. Seven ASTRONAUTS were incinerated when their SPACESHIP turned into a flaming meteor.

Chief

"...if we are to win the battle that is now going on around the world between freedom and tyranny, the dramatic achievements in space which occurred in recent weeks should have made clear to all of us, as did Sputnik in 1957, the impact of this adventure on the minds of men everywhere... Now it is time to take longer strides - time for this nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement, which in many ways may hold the key to our future on Earth...We go into space because whatever mankind must undertake, free men must fully share...

I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project... will be more exciting, or more impressive to mankind, or more important in the long-range exploration of space, and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish..."

- President John F. Kennedy, addressing a special joint session of Congress, 25 May 1961

:ph34r:

I thought the Israeli who died was a female?

Nothing in the topic suggests you can't speak your opinion...maybe Heartless' post has made you all think. I think your responses have given very good explanations to your feelings why they are heros.

I guess the thing I'd point out is these 7 people were heros on the day they launched the ship...not on the day they died. It's a shame that the news didn't feel the need to make more of a specticle of that.

Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guest InSaNiTy
Guests

This topic was made to commerate the astronauts, and give your opinion about the disaster. It was not intended for flaming one another, so Heartless I ask you to let Chiefs statements go, and it will be fine.

Im not gonna get into the hero aspect of it but i would think astronauts would feel the same way we here of great worriors wanting to die on the battlefield and not of old age with nothing left.These people work there @ss off to achive there goals and rose above the common masses in doing so.This is just my opinion but i hope i find something in my life that i would have so much passion and love for and when and if i do, i hope i die doing just that.So even though its a great loss for us as a country, it was in a way i think a perfect death for the seven who loved and achived something great.

I can sorta agree with Heartless (as in I see where she's coming from)

but I would BY FAR rather see the deaths of these individuals ALL over the news than the death of some actor or actress that never did a thing important in their life...