power supply

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Give us an example, link to the power supplies please. I honestly do not know what that could be (though it is realy late and I am seeing things as I am so tired).

Give us an example, link to the power supplies please. I honestly do not know what that could be (though it is realy late and I am seeing things as I am so tired).

Yeah I'm with him on this one. My brain is fried right now so give some links!

this is what ive learned...

intel EE dual cores need 2x4 in order to run properly. This means a dual rail power supply.

a 2x2 will not do it.

I read the mb manual and sure enough it's correct the website explains a little about it.

I don't know what "dual rail technology" is nor do I know how to know if a ps is dual rail or not.

Aug

I "believe" what that is referring to is the 8 pin MB connector coming into play now. I know the DFI Expert board requires it ( vs. the standard 4-pin). IE: 2x2= 4 pin. 2x4 = 8pin

Example: heres a descrip of one of those OCZ's:

* 150 x 140 x 86mm

* ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V

* OCZ ConnectAll™ universal connectors:

o 1 x 20+4Pin ATX

o 1 x 4-pin/8-pin CPU (supports double CPUs/supplies stable voltage) <-- **This is what I mean**

o 2 x PCI-E

o 6 x 4-pin peripheral

o 2 x 4-pin floppy

o 6 x S-ATA

* High efficiency

o 80% @ 115V (Typical load)

o 83% @ 230V (Typical load)

o Overvoltage/Overcurrent/Short-Circuit protection

o Active PFC

o MTBF:100,000 hours

o 100~240Vac 10-5A 50/60Hz

o +3.3V(36A), +5V(30A), +12V1(15A), +12V2(15A), +12V3(15A), +12V4(15A)

ok makes sense. then thats the difference. pfft p4s consume way to much juice, what a joke pfft. lalala...

no i see what your saying. just look for that then.

correct me if im wrong but 8pin connectors mean the power supply is eps compliant? ive seen that with atx and with out atx next to it

Intel processors always consume more power. This was true even with the first P4s when AMD was with Socket 462. Intel boards needed the "P4 12v 4pin" power connector and AMDs didn't. Now it is moving to an 8 pin power connector instead of the 4.

PC power and cooling does make great PSU, but it will cost you..

I've used ANTEC as well as others for several years, but my new favourite is the Silverstone 600W modular for SLI systems...

It has 78% efficiency, and it is rated to operate at that up til 50 deg celsius...that is pretty good.

The other thing to consider is to make sure your PCI-ex power connectors are on separate rails...otherwise you risk failure.

The silverstone has 4x 12v rails.

Silverstone and Antec both max good power supplies. Enermax also has some pretty good psus. PC Power & Cooling is hands down the best but like Tek said you do pay for it. The Turbo-Cool 510 SLI starts at like $215 without ship.

Word of mouth is definitely one way but if a power supply has seperate rails it is definitely something they will want on the box/booklet/psu itself. I'm currently building a machine with a Silverstone ST60F and this particular psu has quad +12v rails and it says it all over the psu itself and in the booklet. With a lot of the higher end manufacturers it is expected for them to have seperate rails and they will prominently display it on the packaging. If you can't find it that way try their website and search by model number.

Word of mouth is definitely one way but if a power supply has seperate rails it is definitely something they will want on the box/booklet/psu itself. I'm currently building a machine with a Silverstone ST60F and this particular psu has quad +12v rails and it says it all over the psu itself and in the booklet. With a lot of the higher end manufacturers it is expected for them to have seperate rails and they will prominently display it on the packaging. If you can't find it that way try their website and search by model number.

What I am saying about making sure your pci-x cards are on sep. rails, is to make sure you don't use an adapter to power both cards from the same line. You need two PCI-x connectors on two different/separate lines coming out of the powersupply. If that is the case, you know they are on separate power rails. You can also read the schematics in the instructions that come with your gear to make sure.