Fish Tanks

TheBugs

My parents are going to be setting up a nice 55 gallon tank in the living room. I know there were some people on here that are into setting up aquariums and the like. I was wondering what are some good websites to check out designs or ideas on how to set up the tank..ie: rocks, logs, sand, pebble plants.... Its going to be a fresh water tank, ive found some decent sites on what types of fish would work together, any recommendations on types of fish?

Thanks for the help.

Off the cuff Fatty tips:

Buy 20 goldfish for the first month.....(it's gotta go through cycles, you'll probably read about this)

Grade your gravel from front to back....(aesthetics)

I've done both cichlids and community...beware of the max size of your chichlid selections if you go that route, and pay attention to the supply of fish in your area that are compatable. I'm back to a community tank atm.

Keep your tank away from windows....(sunlight encourages algae)...and in the same respect, the less time you have your timer set to have your light on, the less algae will thrive....

Watch how and where the fish swim when you're selecting. It's nice to have fish throughout your tank, not just at the top or bottom....bigger tanks are also nice to mix with schooling and non-schooling fish....

Don't skimp on your filter.

Oh, I just reread your post...you're talking mostly about the physical layout, so you can strike most of my post.

I tried to kill a 3 spotted garami for the last 5 years, he was the only one left in the tank, finally i just gave him to petsmart. UNREAL how that fish wouldn't die... I think it was over 10yrs old...