web hosting

my Father is starting a small business for custom ceramic design...

I figure I would build him a site and stuff...

who uses what web hosting?

I've seen gate.com, godaddy, uplinkearth... just wondering what the popular ones are?

thanks

Ben

I have some GoDaddy pages and the price is pretty good but their Customer Service sucks a lot.

1and1 is also a popular hosting company that is pretty much neck and neck with godaddy in terms of price and overall size

Lunar Pages is one that one of my friend hosts with and he loves their service. I don't personally have any experience with them but if I was personally in the market for a page I would trust his judgement cause he does a lot of web dev work.

godaddy is typically the cheapest to register domain names with. i don't know much about them beyond that.

http://www.godaddy.com

registerfly is also comparable. i've been happy with em because they remind me well in advance of when my domain is about to expire. they're maybe a dollar or two higher per year than godaddy, but i know for sure you get free basic hosting with registerfly.

http://www.registerfly.com

then again, if he's got no plan for webdesign, he might want to consider 1and1. they've got the largest collection of point and click premade templates. i've found them to be a little more expensive, but in the long run, it's cheaper than hiring a web designer.

http://www.1and1.com

(edited)

find an old linux box, through apache on there, buy a domian name, and pay somone 5 bucks a year to direct www.yourdomainname.com to your linux box's IP. :)

skeptic about using linux? windows has ISS build into their server edition and you may even be able to use apache on windows

Edited by NOFX

find an old linux box, through apache on there, buy a domian name, and pay somone 5 bucks a year to direct www.yourdomainname.com to your linux box's IP. :)

skeptic about using linux? windows has ISS build into their server edition and you may even be able to use apache on windows

considering I am a server/network admin, I have no problems using IIS on windows or apache on linux... but you fail to understand... I don't want to maintain another box... just the website. :tongue2:

So I am going to just have it hosted, and his business will pay for it, and pay me development time. B)

thanks all for the sites, I will check them out, and end up using one of them. :boing:

www.gatorhost.com

thats what we have, they have excellent support 24/7 online support, hasnt taken me over 2 mins to get people to talk to, even at midnight.

:o I actually had to copy and paste that link!?!?!

www.gatorhost.com

thats what we have, they have excellent support 24/7 online support, hasnt taken me over 2 mins to get people to talk to, even at midnight.

:o I actually had to copy and paste that link!?!?!

fixed, plus talk to support for sales and ask for the 1st month free :)

and i like cpanel more than the godaddy control panel