k-wix's photo project

k-wix

Greets my friends of gc. I love you guys. So i took my photoshop skills to something a bit more serious, so i shall begin the thread with a bit o' backstory.

My Mothers senior picture day she took a great photograph. But due to my family being poor back in the day, they only could afford a single 8x10 print. About 2 weeks later my moms father in a drunken rage destroyed the photograph by burning it, throwing it into a corner, and doing a real number on the only copy to ever exist.

Below is a picture of the photograph after it was ruined - you can see some of the burning and other damage/discoloration plaguing the picture.

(warning - large image)

MothersProjectfin3(small).JPG

The photo was pretty ruined - my grandmother tried some home remedies to 'fix' the problem, including nailpolish remover and some other stuff but generally the picture was 'done' by this point.

2006 comes along and my grandmother shows me the photograph.. and i decide to take it as a project and retouch it up, fix it up as best i could, and mail it to my mom as a mothers day gift - the project was just recently completed, so i figured i'd show everyone my work! Here is a copy of the redone photograph after my touch-up work.

MothersProjectfin2(small).jpg

As you can see, there are a lot of changes, some minor and others major - a lot of the simple scratches and such were removed entirely, the necklace is gone and some areas that were so heavily damaged i had to basically 'paint' over.. this was a very fun project and also quite challenging, but i thought i'd post it to see what y'all think! If anyone has any ruined photographs that need touched up - get into contact with me and i might be able to help you :P

Also, i have uploaded the 'hi-res' versions of the pictures, if anyone wants to look at the really big versions:

http://kwix.shackspace.com/mom/MothersProjectfin2.JPG (new version)

http://kwix.shackspace.com/mom/MothersProjectfin3.JPG (old version)

Yay.. any comments?

• 6 months later...

You did a good job but that light behind her in the final pic looks like it could be a halo. No old time cameras made that large of a light splash.

You did a good job on the green shirt. There was not much to go on.

But you did loose the texture of the paper in some spots. I would recommend a layer mask of a pattern. I bet you can isolate the texture on her forehead and make it a pattern.