Sorry aboot the rant, but...

Ak0Mg0

Hey all, some of you may remeber me. I was pretty active here on the boards and over on the West CS:S server up until around 6 or 7 months ago when I no longer really had time to game and no I am back to play. Anyways, I don't really know if there has been any policy changes, so to speak, since I have come back. One of the first things I noticed when I came on was alot of whining aboot certain maps coming from what appears to be an admin and surprise, surprise, the map gets changed after 1 round of play. And it's not like the whole server was whining, just one or two people. I hear stuff like, "Oh, this map is overplayed." or, "This map is too lop-sided." If that is the case, then why is the map in rotation? Why doesn't an admin take it out, insted of keep it in there? Heck, I personally consider it admin abuse when an admin does that. When I was interested and wanted to be an admin, my idea and how the picture of an admin was painted to me was someone who keeps the server clean. Not someone who controls what is played. My concern is that some people, such as myself, like to play some of these maps and if I don't like it I use the 'rockthevote' mechanism. That's what it is there for, right?

Secondly, I also had another strange experience regarding fellow GC members whom I am not sure if they are admins or not. While playing Italy as a CT, my team was on a bad losing streak and it seemed the whole T team was camping and sniping at spawn (nothing wrong with that really), so I decide to make a sarcastic remark in team chat, "Hey let's all buy AWPs and camp spawn, too, next round!" I understand that sarcasm really doesn't come across very well online, so a GC member (I can't remember any names, just that they were GC) tells me that I can't do that. Being in a sarcastic mood at the time, I decided to run with it. I made another comment saying we still should and then I am told that it is against the rules and that if I do that I am setting a bad example and I need to represent GC better. So, I went ahead and typed 'rules' cause I assumed that something changed since I left and came back. Nope. Nothing aboot camping in rules or having to have to go after the objective. Yes, it is common courtesy to try and go after the objective and all of that fun stuff. However, the problem I had was that it was like I was being scolded and basically being told that I had to play a certain way. The "GC" way. "No camping, you *HAVE* to go after your objective." Okaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy. Last I checked, I thought the only rule was to have fun when it came on how you should play. Working as a team and keeping the servers clean could be factored into that, too. But not really as in how to play the game, so to speak.

However, my "returning" experience hasn't been all negative. I see lots of old faces and new faces who are the friendly, fun to play with, GC folks I remember. THat hasn't changed and I highly doubt that it ever will. It is great to be playing on the GC servers again and to be back in the community. Again, I apologize for the rant and I expect that there will be some responses that may not be favorable to my position. But the whole point of my rant really is that I choose to help pay for and play on GC servers to play in a clean environment, not a completely controlled one.

We don't need to write it in the rules that you have to "work towards the objective." That's a given. We require teamwork. Whoever told you to work toward the objective was completely in the right.

As far as the map change goes, if this is something you were upset by on once occassion, I have no response. If this is something that you are seeing repeatedly by a certain admin, then you need to call them on it instead of posting in a general way. Start with a PM, or report it to an LA if that goes nowhere.

The fact of the matter is that we are very, very successful in the West at this moment, and that's not due to continually bad administration, be it map changes or unrealistic expectations.

1. re: map changes. you're in the right to call them out about map changes. it's a rule they agreed to. if that doesn't work, then let loki, avengence, or me know.

-All GCshould be asked before making any server changes. This goes for votes too. If one guild member is having a stellar game, they probably don’t want to see a mapvote come up.
http://www.gamrs.co/htmlgc/joingcstandards.shtml

2. re: objectives. i'll add that to the 'rules' command, though it shouldn't be required. it's an objective based game. if you're not completing the objectives, what's the point of playing. if the team agrees to camp to save money and make a rush or be strategic the next round, that's one thing. i'm pretty sure "GC REQUIRES TEAMWORK" is in the ads, and i'm known to flip on people that shoot the bells in inferno. biggest. pet peeve. ever.

3. it's good to see you back.

I think as far as working toward the objective goes, we can all use some common sense. If the defensive team is all camping, then the offense deciding to camp their own spawn is right out. If the defense is rushing, then by camping on offense all you're doing is protecting your team from a flank. I don't think no camping has ever been a rule (and never should be), but if you're not trying to help your team win you may as well just type kill in console.

I think as far as working toward the objective goes, we can all use some common sense. If the defensive team is all camping, then the offense deciding to camp their own spawn is right out. If the defense is rushing, then by camping on offense all you're doing is protecting your team from a flank. I don't think no camping has ever been a rule (and never should be), but if you're not trying to help your team win you may as well just type kill in console.

here here. sometimes i think we take our jobe a little to serious around here... time to chill out!

As for map changes I usualy ask people if they want a map change if a few people ask me too. There have been a few occasions where the last ct or t on a team got this message from me: [Planting is a requirement] or [saving the hosties is a requirement]. this you may have seen from me. But I did those things if a T is running around with the bomb and trying to get frags and his team is at a or b and waiting on him or a ct is sitting somwhere camping and he's the last guy alive. Otherwise all the "dead" people waiting to play the next round will watch them either run around the map pointlessly or camp and wait for an enemy to run buy when they wont. I think you've seen these things before. I just do it to remind people of the objective. Sure if that T doesnt want to plant well he can drop the bomb. Or if that ct wants to camp then sure he can do that until he's the last guy alive on his team. I havent seen any admin abuse lately but then Im not on a whole lot. :D