Dead motherboard???

boiler

(edited)

Thanks in advance to any who may respond to this.

Today I installed an additional 1 GB (2x512) of identical ram (to go with the previous 1 GB 2x512 I already had). To do this I had to remove my video card, since it's long enough to block the ram eject tabs. I installed the ram, hooked the vid card back up. When I turn on the power, all the fans spin normally, and the computer makes the normal beep sound during boot up, but I get absolutely nothing on the monitor. Not even the boot screen. I tried to let it run and turned sound on to see if windows would boot and nothing happened. Here's a list of what I have tried thus far:

- removing new ram and returning to previous "original" working condition

- Switching original ram to different slots on mobo

- replacing old ram with new ram (I tried 3 seperate sets of new ram, so it CANT be a ram problem)

- tried a different video card (new ati x1300 for my sis)

- tried using a different video card slot (mine has 2 pci-e x16 slots)

- tried a different power supply

I feel that I have exhausted every possibility that I have at my disposal. My only guess at this point is my motherboard crapped out, and I have no idea how that could have happened by just installing more ram. I DO have a brand new asus motherboard here for the comp I am building my sister, but I really really really don't want to remove mine until I get some confirmation that my motherboard has indeed passed on.

Please give me a little guidance or confirm my diagnosis all you computer gurus, you fellow coalitionites freakin ROCK! :D

Here's my system:

P4 630 3.0GHz

ECS 945P-A (v1.1) mobo <---------- it was cheap, i know....

1GB (2x512) @ 533MHz Corsair valueram (tried 3 different sets along with originals)

eVGA 7800GT CO

WD Caviar 200GB SATA 3.0GB/s

Lite-On DVD+/-RW

btw, all this stuff was brand new last november

Edited by boilersax

sounds like the right conclusion to me. you failed to list your powersupply in your specs there though. my guess is because it's a cheap one.

inspect your mobo capacitors and see if any are popped.

(edited)
sounds like the right conclusion to me. you failed to list your powersupply in your specs there though. my guess is because it's a cheap one.

inspect your mobo capacitors and see if any are popped.

Yes, my original power supply was cheap, however I did plop in a new antec 400W (from my sister's build) and it gave me the same crap. I don't think it's a power supply problem, also because all the stuff turns on and the fans spin and such.

I don't know what a popped capacitor looks like, but all of them on my board seem to appear the same. Is it possible for my board to be dead without any visual indications such as a popped capacitor?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by boilersax

(edited)
Yes, my original power supply was cheap, however I did plop in a new antec 400W (from my sister's build) and it gave me the same crap. I don't think it's a power supply problem, also because all the stuff turns on and the fans spin and such.

I don't know what a popped capacitor looks like, but all of them on my board seem to appear the same. Is it possible for my board to be dead without any visual indications such as a popped capacitor?

Thanks for your help!

yes, it can be dead with no visual indicators. i mentioned power supply cause it's probably your cheap power supply that killed your motherboard. check your supply in your sisters comp and i'd bet it doesn't work so hot. the ram probably put it over the top and it took your mobo with it.

also, try what nofx suggested. my guess is it won't help but worth a shot.

edit - it may be assumed but all your testing should be done with your sisters power supply.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)

my guess power supply first board next but probably power supply

the way you describe the problem is the same as a friend of mine who in the long run put in a bigger power supply

a power supply can start up then run away electrically and shut itself down

also when my friends comp did the same thing we went to a store bought a power supply and it did the same thing grrr he took to a shop and they said the power supply new one either was broke or not compatible not sure but another other power supply worked?

don't you need more than 500wattts with all that anyway?

Edited by w8t4time

It was giving me the same problem with the new power supply though as well. I'm going to try this asus motherboard with my original setup to see if it works. I'll post back with results.

Ok, first off thanks once more to all who gave me suggestions, you guys rock.

NOFX, I did try resetting my CMOS, and it did nothing.

I switced out my piece of crap motherboard for the shiny new asus one for my sister's computer, and my beast fired right up with no problems. It was indeed a dead motherboard. (for the record, I first did this with the new power supply and my old cheapy, both times worked).

I consider this unfortunate event as a positive, because now it give me an excuse to get a NICE motherboard and upgrade to some dual core action :D I'll probably spring for my own antec power supply too just for good measure.

Thanks guys, I think I'm on the right track to solving this thing!