eVGA 7900 GT superclocked get HOT!!!

Ok, so i spent the evening playing HL2 ep1...1600 x 1200 with 4xAA and 4xAF, HDR full....

So my new vid card, in the heat of battle, is 78 degrees C!!!!!!!

Holy crud!

My previous vid card (a geforce 6800 GT oc to ultra) usually ran 58 degrees C when on load...Of course, I ran an Arctic Cool Silencer to help...but still...what a difference!

I am contemplating a different cooler (not liquid at this point)...any suggestions!? Or, any suggestions on running this card cooler!?

MY RIG:

Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (not OC'd at the moment)

Cooler Master Stacker case (2x 120mm fan, 2 X 80 fan)

eVGA 7900 GT superclock (gpu 580, mem 790) 256MB

Raptors (10,000K!)

Antec neopower 480W

Plextor 712A DVDRW

2 X 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR (2.5, 3, 2, 8)

WIN XP sp2

This temp is quote-normal-unquote for all 6x00 and 7x00 series cards. The temperature throttling doesn't even kick in till the temps are over 100° C

If the "under load" temps go over 80° C when you play, you might want to get a third-party HSF for your card. They really do help.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

tek, that temps is fine.

goof, agree 100%.

ice, send it back.

the 6600go in my laptop running at core and mem speeds of 300mhz hits 90c under load at times. my desktop x1800xt pe on stock cooling idles in the low 50s and loads in the high 70s. it's got a much better cooler then your 7900gt.

actually evga is probably the best nvidia company out there for warranty replacement. at least that's what i've heard. certainly hardocp likes them the best for replacing these malfunctioning 7900gts.

they do have a lifetime warranty afaik. heck, xfx is replacing a 6600gt that someone gave me cause it was dead. go lifetime warranties and dumb consumers.

tek, that temps is fine.

goof, agree 100%.

ice, send it back.

the 6600go in my laptop running at core and mem speeds of 300mhz hits 90c under load at times. my desktop x1800xt pe on stock cooling idles in the low 50s and loads in the high 70s. it's got a much better cooler then your 7900gt.

Yeah, you know, I'd agree with you except for the fact that it has really made a change in my total system temp...ambient in my case is now typically 40 deg cel, and it was around 32...which is good.

It's just a big change...I mean, I had an OC 6800GT that ran 20 deg cooler under load...just didn't expect this big a change. I did some forum searching and found this is pretty typical...

I am sure that with a Zalman vp900 (or whatever the heck the model number is...) on there it would cool off nicely.

eVGA has a 90 day upgrade program anyways. So I am working on the cash in 90 days to upgrade to OC 7900 GTX or their new 7950 GT (duals on one card)...From what I've read, both of those cards run cooler and affect system temps less b/c of dual slot exhaust coolers and heat pipes...

how are you measuring ambient temps?

duals on one card has the same cooling system as your current 7900gt as it is basically two 7900gts stuck together with more ram.

two different mobo's will have vastly different mobo temp sensors not even mentioning the chipsets and other components used.

technically ambient would be a probe placed somewhere inside your case in mid air.

I had an x1900xtx with a defective fan so make sure it is running properly. My free replacemet from newegg dropped temps from the 120's C to around mid to high 40's for vid GPU temp and the mid to low 30's for ambient temp. My CPU stays almost constant at 32-34 C even under load. I'm running the Aerocool case http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-extremengine-3t-black.html and man does it work well. I put the stock cooler on my CPU and have added only one fan which is the 130mm http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silent-w...-130mm-fan.html which is quiet and awesome for moving air out.

Best I can tell you (besides to trade in that crappy GF for an aTI) is to make sure you have proper airflow (same air in as out), make sure fans are all running properly and to upgrade your stock cooler if you can afford it. Other than that a new case, better 120mm fans or a video upgrade is in order. GL

The chipset (mobo) temps will be higher just because the chipset is working harder, with your improved graphics solution giving it a higher bandwidth of workout. Among other things, your PCI-e solution is pushing more power through the mobo, which causes heat all on it's own. Also, your chipset is just processing and pushing through more raw data than before, and that will jack up the heat, as well.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

(edited)
I had an x1900xtx with a defective fan so make sure it is running properly. My free replacemet from newegg dropped temps from the 120's C to around mid to high 40's for vid GPU temp and the mid to low 30's for ambient temp. My CPU stays almost constant at 32-34 C even under load. I'm running the Aerocool case http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-extremengine-3t-black.html and man does it work well. I put the stock cooler on my CPU and have added only one fan which is the 130mm http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-silent-w...-130mm-fan.html which is quiet and awesome for moving air out.

Best I can tell you (besides to trade in that crappy GF for an aTI) is to make sure you have proper airflow (same air in as out), make sure fans are all running properly and to upgrade your stock cooler if you can afford it. Other than that a new case, better 120mm fans or a video upgrade is in order. GL

pshawww...

whose card you callin crappy!? :o

I know we've been over and over and over the vid card debate in other threads this month and everyone has their favs...but

I will say again...this is one of the most powerful cards for the $289 I paid for it...I simply could not get a better card, warranty, trade in etc...for the cash. Look: 256mb memory, 24 pixel pipes, gpu clocked at 580 mhz, and ddr mem at 1580mhz...that's pretty sweet for $289.

The only ATI that beats me hands down is the one you are running...the XTX...Which is near $500. According to all my reasearch (which is copious, before I commit to spending cash), this card is as fast as the X1900 XT and faster than almost all other 7900GTs out there...and it certainly beats or stays even with the majority of the last-gen top tier cards (7800 GTX and X1800) which are also more expensive.

So anyways...since those cards and most others that run faster than mine are serious $$$, I can say IMO, that I got the most bang for the buck. :D

Only thing that bugs me, like I said when I started this thread is higher temps.

I've got a huge case, 1) 120 intake, 1) 80 intake, 1) 120 exhaust, 1) 80 exhaust as well as full front, side, and bottom mesh vents on case...(coolermaster stacker). Believe me...I know how to cool, which is why I started this thread. I wanted others opinions (if they exist) on if this temp is typical for 7900GT...since I was unfamiliar with their temp range.

Thanks.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

tek, when you get a chance post up some 3dmark scores. i want to see if i'm faster. a stock x1800xt is faster then a stock 7900gt but both yours and mine are oced quite a bit.

tek, when you get a chance post up some 3dmark scores. i want to see if i'm faster. a stock x1800xt is faster then a stock 7900gt but both yours and mine are oced quite a bit.

I've been trying to run 3d mark 05 on mine, but there are some bugs...it runs everything twice, except the second time around it runs it at like 1 to 2 frames per second...don't know what's up with that.

You use any other benchmarks? I've used Aquamark 3 in the past, it is pretty good measure of system.

How about FEAR? It has a pretty good built in bench that is a good measure of performance...

I haven't installed yet, but I usually run FEAR at 16 x 12 with 4x AA and 8x AF. Try that on for size if you have it.

This challenge goes out to you too preacher.

I will keep trying to get my new build up and running properly. I have yet to ghost my C: drive, until then, I won't install anygames or benches. Probably will be up to full strength by next mon/tues.

i last ran fear on my x800. haven't got around to re-downloading it to try again. maybe i will now.

i like 3dmark 2006. weird problem you're having with 2005. are you sure you're not just mistaking the cpu tests for your "second time around"?

aquamark is pretty dated at this point in terms of a gfx benchmark. why not try a source stress test. that's pretty gpu dependent. post up your settings and results and i'll try and match.

i last ran fear on my x800. haven't got around to re-downloading it to try again. maybe i will now.

i like 3dmark 2006. weird problem you're having with 2005. are you sure you're not just mistaking the cpu tests for your "second time around"?

aquamark is pretty dated at this point in terms of a gfx benchmark. why not try a source stress test. that's pretty gpu dependent. post up your settings and results and i'll try and match.

So, when 3D mark runs the same graphics but backwards and really really really really slowly...that is the CPU test??? I don't have a registered copy, so it kinda sucks. I am stuck at running 10 X 7 and no AA or AF. I imagine with AA and AF enabled and different resolution, I might see some gains and losses compared to other cards. I know that the X1900XTX really handles high res and big AA and AF really well...But, the 7900 GTX does too...I am sure that the 7900 GT and X1900XT and X1800XT scale accordinlgy.

Ok...so, (This is very prelim and rushed just to get some numbers up...)

But:

3DMark05 (normal system)

Athlon 64 4000+

2gig OCZ ram (2.5, 3, 3, 8)

480W Antec Neo PSU

7900GT KO superclocked

Asus A8N32-SLI

10X7

No AA or AF

Score = 9466

I will post FEAR later, when I install...

What about this Source benchmark you are talking up? Give me some info on how to get at that, and I will do the first of the week.

Interesting links (while you sputter about)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30856

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32016

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31550

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26720

Sorry all from inquirer, but seemed to have good tests...See my other thread for more links to more cards and benches. :luxhello:

i get about 10000 in 3d mark 2k5. when running benchmarks it's best to leave all stock settings.

also, 2k5 seems to like ati better. your score seems right in line from what i've heard. a 7900gt is basically a 7800gtx with a couple percent gains. you have an oc'ed one which puts you higher obviously.

hmm you play unreal don't you... source stress test is available to anyone with cs:source or dod:source afaik.

(edited)

"Around 10000?"

Aww come on, unfair...I downloaded and installed and ran 3Dmark05 just to add some weight to my arguments...seems unfair that you aren't posting "real" results bro... :boo:

Let's put our $ (so to speak) where our claims are. I say screenshots of results are a must as well. Maybe we should move this over to the benchmarks page and have a real duel. :blink:

Edited by Tek-Almighty

• 4 weeks later...

I have a EVGA 7900 GT 500/1500 and after an hour of UT 2004 the cards temp was only 52 C.

Do you run a clean case, all your wires tied and out of the path of air flow from your bottom case fan so it hits your cards?