RANDOM HS!

witt

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

I very rarely have hit registration problems on 100 tick servers. The real problem is all those pathetic 33tick clan servers, especially the ones that advertize as 66/100tick even though they are 33. I pretty much can't hit anything on these kinds of servers, no long range single shots, no bursts, just get up close to someone and spray and pray is the only thing that works. Another thing about hit registration that most people don't realize is that your bullet path is always random even on the first shot and even with sniper rifles. There's a CVAR that you can enable in a listen server that allows you to see exactly where your shots are registering both on your client and on the server.

Just like any other game irl or programmed; throw into the mix someone that's dodging wildly about, different latencies between you and the opponent, getting shot at (your recoil gets ridiculous after getting hit), FPS dips, choke, occasional packetloss, random bullet paths and recoil, and your own abilities and you will find that the game is very unpredictable.

Just like any other game irl or programmed; throw into the mix someone that's dodging wildly about, different latencies between you and the opponent, getting shot at (your recoil gets ridiculous after getting hit), FPS dips, choke, occasional packetloss, random bullet paths and recoil, and your own abilities and you will find that the game is very unpredictable.

I think this is one of the reasons that many ppl stick with 1.6

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

1.6 has the exact same variables :). In fact, those variables are all pretty standard fare in any FPS game except the bullet paths and recoil. Kinda OT, One thing that always bugged me about 1.6 is that you can't shoot the back of an AFK'ers head. Atleast you can do it in source.

1.6 has the exact same variables :). In fact, those variables are all pretty standard fare in any FPS game except the bullet paths and recoil. Kinda OT, One thing that always bugged me about 1.6 is that you can't shoot the back of an AFK'ers head. Atleast you can do it in source.

Well I just said that because I heard some 1.6 ppl talking about it... and are you serious that you cant HS someone in the back of the head??

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

Well I just said that because I heard some 1.6 ppl talking about it... and are you serious that you cant HS someone in the back of the head??

Yeah, try it out. You notice it the most with AFK's but it happens when you sneak up on people too! The hitboxes are totally messed up in 1.6 or atleast it was back when I used to play it.

Edited by ash-

I know that I am one of the BIGGEST complainers on GC and I know my finger is permantly glued to the "K" button, but, sometimes it IS random, out of my control, but its frustrating that bullets are sometimes crooked.

example: I was playing with m2 yesterday, I turned around to check my flank. I turn around and he is there, I twitched and fired at least 2 feet to the left of him and got a headshot. How can you explain that? I did that 2 more times after that on different maps.

way to go witt, way to go. you've created a monster of a thread.

oh, and this is tasty.

I know that I am one of the BIGGEST complainers on GC and I know my finger is permantly glued to the "K" button, but, sometimes it IS random, out of my control, but its frustrating that bullets are sometimes crooked.
the only thing more frustrating than "random headshots" is listening to people belly ache about it. buzzkill, total buzzkill. btw, you can should be able to control at least one thing.

thats not as fun though

<notices one storytime listener is still on the rug, confused, and alone>

oh my, you missed the moral of the story. no one likes a whiner.

:shrug03:

I like whiners... they add personality to the dull player models :freak:

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
john, next time you're an admin and geek is on, just bind his "y" and "k" buttons to "kill"

I have a condump for you :biglaugha:

*DEAD* Tac87 : stop using the mic to scream, thanx

t-ron connected

*DEAD* gpL | th3geEk : mute me then

(ADMIN) muted player gpL | th3geEk

*DEAD* ash : LOL

*DEAD* ub3r n00b : pwnd.

*DEAD* Tac87 : lol

disc0M kied SupaFly with glock.

[Mmmm]ßrillow-=GC=- killed disc0M with deagle.

Makaveli connected

*DEAD* disc0M : wow

[Mmmm]ßrillow-=GC=- killed Casper with deagle.

PilouK connected

*DEAD* ash : that's a quotable

*DEAD* Tac87 : i didnt mean for it to go that far, but thanx

«xT» M2.gc : <3 brillow

john, next time you're an admin and geek is on, just bind his "y" and "k" buttons to "kill"

I have a condump for you :biglaugha:

*DEAD* Tac87 : stop using the mic to scream, thanx

t-ron connected

*DEAD* gpL | th3geEk : mute me then

(ADMIN) muted player gpL | th3geEk

*DEAD* ash : LOL

*DEAD* ub3r n00b : pwnd.

*DEAD* Tac87 : lol

disc0M kied SupaFly with glock.

[Mmmm]ßrillow-=GC=- killed disc0M with deagle.

Makaveli connected

*DEAD* disc0M : wow

[Mmmm]ßrillow-=GC=- killed Casper with deagle.

PilouK connected

*DEAD* ash : that's a quotable

*DEAD* Tac87 : i didnt mean for it to go that far, but thanx

«xT» M2.gc : <3 brillow

rofl i remember that

(edited)

The reason I made that post is not to be made fun of. I know I have a problem screaming and complaining and I'm trying to fix it. There is no need to become malishious or rude.

I can see it now...

disco: cover middle

thegeek: one is flanking us!

*thegeek commited suicide*

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
The reason I made that post is not to be made fun of. I know I have a problem screaming and complaining and I'm trying to fix it. There is no need to become malishious or rude.

I can see it now...

disco: cover middle

thegeek: one is flanking us!

*thegeek commited suicide*

I couldn't help it, it was so hilarious at the time! You talk as much on the mic as anyone else on the server which isn't a problem imo. I have no problem with you hogging the mic as long as you've passed puberty and you aren't blasting music that's against my tastes!

I couldn't help it, it was so hilarious at the time! You talk as much on the mic as anyone else on the server which isn't a problem imo. I have no problem with you hogging the mic as long as you've passed puberty and you aren't blasting music that's against my tastes!

I hold no grudge. I did feel kinda helpless because I couldnt tell disco that about 6 ct's were coming from middle.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

I hold no grudge. I did feel kinda helpless because I couldnt tell disco that about 6 ct's were coming from middle.

At the end of the game we all finally decided to start smoking the entire hallway and rushing. We were getting ready to cut the head of the snake off but the game just had to end!

i was thinking along the same lines, only replace "kill" with "disconnect" and "quit."

Oh, that would make me laugh very hard.

u ever get the feeling like im guinna rush with my deagle and get some cheap kills thnu round the corner to find half the other team sitting thier and at tht point ur like stupid deagle and its 7 bullets.

• 3 weeks later...
shot registration is horrible!!! haha I will continue to believe that is a myth, until someone can provide a video to me, showing that they shot a person, and then showing the person with 100 health.

Are you honestly saying you've never had a shot not register?

I don't even think that's possible.

Indeed I am.. have you ever been in an AWP fight with 1 other person. You have your crosshairs on him, you fire and he fires, you hear your shot, but you die immediatly afterwards? Is this something with shot registration?

Given my knowledge of networks and software design. I would guess that, his packet of information reached the server milliseconds before yours did. Therefore killing you first and since your client side has not received this update from the server(yet), you think you got your shot off.

I have never shot at anyone, seen the blood and did 0 damage.

Im by no means a gaming programmer expert, but I would assume that you send an X,Y and Z coordinates to the server when you fire a shot. If someones hitbox is within that line of fire, then it does damage, If they aren't there, it doens't do damage. Its not like your bullets are magically lost somewhere within cyberspace.

I think its all your head!!! but then again I could be wrong and be invincible to the shot registration bug.

Hi. I've been interested in GC for a while, at least since I found the first GC server and began playing there.

I was playing on a GC server earlier today and was having alot of trouble with "missed" and "missing" shots fired. So, like any geek I went searching for an answer as to why this is happening. I found this forum and this thread and feel very strongly about this so I had to register and reply.

I've been playing cs for about 3 months now, am generally new to fps games (although I played Wolfenstein and Doom when they became available to the populace and area51) and am sure I've become relatively good at it... all things considered. Case in point, I kill hard level bots on my listen server relatively easily.

I've been a hobbyist (graphics and game) programmer for ten years, that is to say I have a good working understanding of how programs and games work. I also believe I've a good understanding of how networking works. That said, I believe you may have a point. This is unquestionably possible. However, I don't think it's the be all end all of it all.

I often find that on public (especially GC) servers that shots I fire go "missing" or hit areas not aimed at ...often. Now, I understand recoil, movement and being hit by somebody else's bullets (taking damage) play a large part in where one's own bullets end up, but I also know from playing on other servers including Iceworld and my own listen server that I've good aim even in these sometimes harsh conditions. I also know that I'm playing behind a bad router a poor gaming isp and on an old computer (I average 30 - 120 fps with vsync off, 30 - 60 with vsync on (this drops dramatically while I'm being fired at by an opponent)). I also understand that the quality of gamers found on GC servers are top-notch and my current state of health prevents me from playing at my best. Even still, it's hard to believe that when I fire four dead-on shots from my deagle at 20-30 feet distance at a target's chest that I'm missing 2 hits entirely and the other 2 shots hit the stomach area or one of the arms or even a leg. I also find that my m4/ak/tmp sprays rarely end in headshots on GC servers and I rarely miss with the tmp on the other servers. When I play with/against bots on my listen server, I can account for every shot fired every time except in the case of sprays. This, honestly, bothers me to no end.

Now, I'm not accusing GC of any wrong-doing at all. I enjoy playing on GC servers and the clean server atmosphere. Judging by the kind, friendly and competitive nature of GC members I've met on GC servers, I don't believe any of you would cheat. however, I'm dying to get to the root of the problem I'm having. Up until recently, I firmly believed that this was caused primarily by slow transference of packets from client (me) to server and data loss (choke). However, I've found that my choke rarely goes above 1 and as stated earlier, I don't have so much trouble on many other servers, at least not while I'm well enough to play well.

If unregistered shots are nonexistant, how does all this happen?

As I'm new and have no credibility here, here're some notes about me:

I am a member of Gods Of War gaming clan

My current css nick: Darth Nader (ErRaTiC)

Recent nicks: SoAlone (...), soulexertion, mechanix, mindrott

xfire: soulexertion

msn: mindrott

Yeah, try it out. You notice it the most with AFK's but it happens when you sneak up on people too! The hitboxes are totally messed up in 1.6 or atleast it was back when I used to play it.

I've been reading reports stating the opposite is true of the hitboxes... They state that source's hitboxes are messed up and 1.6's are where they're supposed to be. I can't recall the source material right now and didn't bookmark it. but, if it's of any interest I can search for it again.