BAD BAD ping!

I don't know what is up lately, but for the last 4 weeks, my ping to Nep. has been pitiful...

Sometimes it coincides with a slowdown in general for my ISP, but sometimes it is completely "baseless."

Anything going on lately with servers?

For instance...many times, (before) my ping to Nepenthe was 30-50...really good! (one reason I joined!)

Lately my ping has been 120-200...LAME!

It isn't my machine either, b/c I've done bandwidth and game server tests on 2 sep systems in same house.

Prolly my ISP, but just asking...

Really snds like a router along the chain to our server has taken a dump on you - pings are fine - no problems otherwise on this end. Yep - tracert and see whats what.

-Fk

Don't know how to do that...is that a prog?

TracerT?

I've been running SpeakEasy's bandwidth test, and most times my slowdowns with net coincide with server probs...but sometimes not...that was why I was puzzled.

I suppose I should give Mediacomm high speed an ear-full, but I doubt they give a crap bout me. :boo:

Assuming you are running Win XP...

Start button

run

type in "cmd" then return (no quotes of course)

then

tracert 72.51.60.245

Then let her rip

This will display all the routers you travel through to reach our UT server.

Cut/copy/paste however in a post here - we will interpret.

Or, if that is too much, get this for free

PingPlotter

http://www.pingplotter.com/

Enter our server ip in and again, let it rip

-Fk

I was having prblems for a bit there also but called up SBC and found out I had a big chunk of cable they had to replace. Like about 6 or 8 feet worth. All good now and I'm back to good pings and no PL. Server gets a little choppy when Wentz hops in, and Ive asked him to turn off his hax but to no avail :(:biglaugha::biglaugha:

Really snds like a router along the chain to our server has taken a dump on you - pings are fine - no problems otherwise on this end. Yep - tracert and see whats what.

-Fk

Don't know how to do that...is that a prog?

TracerT?

I've been running SpeakEasy's bandwidth test, and most times my slowdowns with net coincide with server probs...but sometimes not...that was why I was puzzled.

I suppose I should give Mediacomm high speed an ear-full, but I doubt they give a crap bout me. :boo:

Oh no!!!! Not another Mediacom victim!! :(:(:( I've spent many hours on the phone fighting with them. Here in the extreme western Chicago suburbs Mediacom is growing faster than their network can handle. They've been beefing up things to handle telephone service but not as fast as they should be. Pingplotter as Flitter describes is a good resource because you can monitor your pings over an extended time. Without fail every time Mediacom came out response was fine as they showed up early in the day. Having some Pingplotter log files was good proof that there were bad times for sure. Also, you can ping different sites. If pings are fine to something like yahoo but bad to Nepenthe it's hard to blame Mediacom.

I believe I there was a small fee for Pingplotter.

If you have a router in the house you might try bypassing it and connecting directly to the cable modem. There has been more than once something with my kids PCs was stealing all of the bandwidth.

So far...i've been both impressed and depressed by mediacom. When they doubled our bandwidth for same $$ I was happy. Then, two months later, when you could never get those advertised bandwidths, I was ticked.

I've tried two diff routers and then none at all, when I have these probs...so I am pretty sure it is mediacom.

I will try the ping plotter thing...tonight if possible. Seems to me that whenever I really want to play UT and ppl are on the server, then my ping is awful. I haven't had a game in like 2 weeks...I'm dying!

ping.jpg

I will post this again tonight when it is time to play.

Sorry, was gonna reply but eating dinner...at crucial moment...and drinking 40's... :D

Used to drink the heck outta some red bull malt...blech.

neways..

I was playing tonight, with you guys, and about 8:10 pm, ping drops from 40's into low 100's...I ping several sites and have noted that it all drops...

I kept a ping log using that proggy yous guys suggested (pingplotter) and I have proof. I will do this for several nights...cuz this is a PITA. I also have pingplotter set up for google.com and even that ping is teh suckage.

My theory is my new ghetto-a** neighbors are bit-torrenting to their hearts content...sucking up my precious bandwidth.

Time to cut their cable... :unsure:

I have dynamic netspeed setup in UT and my default is cable/dsl...I'm not that much of a dummy.

Just a quick how-do-you-do...

You can use pipes with the Windows command line to send results elsewhere, like to a text file for example. If you want the tracert results in .txt format,

tracert [server] > [filename]

It will make a text file in the directory that you run the tracert from (on Windows XP, usually c:\documents and settings\[username]\). If you specify a path, you can put that text file anywhere. Now, it may look like the program has frozen...that's because it's still running and writing to the file. Just give it some time and then, tadaa, text file with your results. Cut and paste at will.