testing a 24" dell widescreen

Cujo

for the next few days to a week (or as long as i can manage) i'll be testing my buddies dell 24" widescreen monitor. he bought a 30" so now he was using them side by side in a dual setup. my current 21" crt had those diagonal lines showing up on a black screen the other day when i turned it on so i think it might be on it's way out.

anyway, i'll be reporting back here on my gameplay experiences as i keep using it.

so far i like EVERYTHING on this monitor except cs. movies look better (and are bigger), high def looks insane (watched the new spiderman teaser in 1080p), and the desktop area is the biggest i've experienced. now i'm used to 1600x1200 so 1920x1200 isn't a huge jump in resolution but the screen is also bigger so it makes it easier to read text and stuff. the only problem as i said is in cs where my mouse just feels laggy. i've turned on vsync and my fps never moves from 60. the only way to describe the sensation is my mouse feels laggy. it feels like i can't aim nearly as accurate. i'll have to see if this is something i can adapt to. i'm actually gonna try playing at 1600x1200 and see if this is something caused by the widescreen res or just caues it's an lcd.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I doubt the response rate is too good on the hell 24 inch. I also noticed a "lag" in my mouse and it is because the monitor is so much bigger. Up your sensitivity until it feels right again.

I also noticed that setting AF in the driver cpanel and the AA in the game makes AA look better. You will get a lot of blur if you set AA in the cpanel. You can also use only 2x AA and not see any jaggies at such high resolutions.

i'm already running 6x 16x with adaptive aa and hq af on. i think the issue is vsync locks at 60fps and i'm used to it being smoother. cause it feels right when i turn vsync off but then you get all kinds of tearing. nfs and graw play very nicely. movies are great, desktop anything is great. just cs it can't handle.

i tried upping my sensitivity but that's not the problem. movement is accurate. the issue is that it takes the screen longer to move to where the mouse is already.

I went through this problem awhile ago Cujo.

You need to bump up to 1600 or 2000 DPI on your mouse.

Then lower your desktop or in-game mouse sensitivity to get things back to comfortable.

It's an annoying process....

Option two, set the monitor to 1:1 and run at 1600x1200 with the black bars.

way, that's my guess. 16 or 12ms (manual isn't clear what it is) is probably the cause. though i had the same problem when i was using an 8ms 19" a while back.

igloo, i've been running at 2000dpi since i got the mouse. also, tried with black bars and same issue. it's definately something with vsync. i've done the reg hack for better performance with vsync already as well.

Not too sure then.

My initial problem with the 24" was my video card, 7800 GT.

FPS was good, always above 60, but I got mouse lag like you.

Did the DPI thing, got better. Switched to a different DVI cable, even better.

Reformatted, went X1900XTX, flawless. :]

I've read tons of forums, some people have issues with mouse lag, some don't. Don't know what causes it, or how people fix it. Well, in Oblivion, they set render ahead from 3 to 0 and that fix's it for the one game.

Your finally giving LCD a chance eh? I think you'll like it.

...and if you don't, i'll create a tax deductible non profit organization you can donate it to :lol2:

I have a tax deductable non-profit agency that you can donate to right now and I'll buy you a new CRT.