Columbus, OH driving advice

Chief

270 goes around Columbus, coming from the west on 70 would I be better off:

A.) going into downtown and going north on 71

or

B.) taking the 270 bypass around Columbus to catch 71?

Thx :huh:

I did both during my trip to Cinci last weekend. I took the 270 leg on the way down and I took 71 through the city on the way back.

I'd take 270. I'm not sure of the signage. 270N? 270 to Mansfield/Akron/Cleveland?

K thx. By the time I get out on Friday (if I get to leave Friday) it will be late enough and I'll just go downtown. Wanted to make sure there wasn't a big difference in speed limit or speed traps.

Going right to 71 would prolly be faster .... depends on if its rush hour or lunch. Traffic and or road work might slow ya down.

This is pretty much right on. Invariably, there's an accident on 270 that shuts it down on the north side. 270 also has a lot more police coverage, with Columbus, Dublin, Franklin County Sheriffs, and State Highway Patrol all covering it.

Going 71 north can be slow at rush hour tho with the downtown splits. If you do go this way, while you're on 70 just past the 270 exits, watch for officers sitting on the left side of the road clocking people.

The only construction I can think of is on 71 north of 270 (polaris area), which you'll have to travel through either way.

I would suggest taking 71 north to 271 north to RT8. You are only mins away from the hotel once you get onto RT 8

taking 70 east to 77n to RT 8 n. I am not sure if that is a longer way to go....

just my thoughts

**edit**

It just depends on what time of day are you going through downtown columbus 71. I haven't had an issue only during rush hour. taking the by pass might be less traffic, given if there isn't any construction going on and time of day as well, however, taking 270 might be a little longer to get to 71. Might add about an extra 15-20 mins onto the trip.

Edited by Rezurektion

(edited)

I will say this, I don't know much about Columbus driving, but I can say this: take 270. My family lives near Pittsburgh, so I use to drive home from Cinci at least one every three months (I've been here since 1998). In that time, I haven't had a positive experience taking 71. That isn't to say that 270 is always the best way, but there is more of a chance it will be better then 270 on any given day.

Edited by duma