Balancing the Maps

Wanderer

(edited)

As I'm sure you've noticed, maps like Aztec and Prodigy are over fast due to the inherent disadvantages on the map for the Terrorists (I mean, when the CTs can get across the bridge before the Ts even get there, that's a big issue off the bat.).

What I'm suggesting is that the defending teams on each map are restricted from buying awps. (CTs on de maps restricted from awps, Ts restricted on cs maps) If you ask me, defensive sniping makes the map impossible for the attacking team to attack as the attackers have to run into places which are advantageous for the defenders (all you need is 3 HEs at DD on aztec to kill everybody that rushes there, and one flash pretty much stops the rush).

The reason why I'm not saying restrict awps in general is that offensive sniping has it's own inherent challenges, as you have to move into areas where the defenders might be lurking around the corner. Also, it prevents the defending team from taking advantage of the one or two people that rush the weak side and flank everybody on the attacking team.

Thoughts on this? Is it even possible to have to server just restrict weapons based on what type of map it is? (If 'mapstring'[0] == d && 'mapstring'[1] == e) etc.

Edit: If the attacking team dies and loses their awps to the defending team, then the defenders who get the awp can keep it. (It makes it all the more incentive to shoot awpers on the defending team).

Edited by Wanderer

Heck, I've noticed that many of the unbalanced maps are many times reversely unbalanced because of the efforts of many of our members. I've seen many teams pwn it up as CT on Italy and T on Aztec.

In the end, while be it a creative suggestion, this just isn't going to happen. The answer remains the same: create some teamwork and get it done. If the noble attempts don't work, hopefully an admin is present to call it a skunk at 7-0, 8-1, etc.

Most regulars on the server will happily switch if they see things getting out of hand one way or another... ask and you might be surprised at how often people will try and even it up. I think this is easier than an artificial (although creative) solution.

this is a like farmer said, a creative solution.

im not sure as too how it will work......but if you think about it.....all the people thatt want to awp or like to awp will probably stack the offensive side....thus making the map maybe even more unbalanced cuz u good a lot of the skilled players with awp on the same side....

but yea....all the gc servers are good at balancing the teams and such.....theres always a couple exceptions on different nights..but...90% of the time the teams are pretty balanced....

Now, I'm not familiar with the counter-balancing on the other servers, since I only play on West, but so far as I've seen, it is a rare case whenever I'm on that the Ts on Aztec or the CTs on Italy get far past 3-4 wins. Maybe it's because I come on when said admins aren't around to help the losing team out.

I guess I should be posting this on the West server forum, but usually speaking, even if there is an admin around, the round goes to 9 or 10 wins while the other team on said unbalanced maps have at most 3. I've only seen Whitey and John change the map when the unbalanced teams get out of hand.

AWPs benefit the offense more on most maps, just play on Mayhem for a while to get a feel for trying to work your way out of a narrow space with just an AK. It's easy enough for the defense to sit with an assault rifle and just fire quick bursts at anything that moves at a doorway.

I'm pretty sure map-specific configs can be done since we have them for some maps on Mayhem (de_alivemetal for one). I think if any tweaking should be done though it should be for the round time, especially on some hostage maps where a 3-minute round is too long for the Ts to have a chance to try and wait out the timer.

you should have seen the Mmmm pwnage as T's last night on aztec. it was going great....right up until my knife rampage @ spawn. seriously, a little voicecom teamwork goes a long way. 1 or 2 people taking the lead on any given side = domination.

frustration, on the other hand, is teh suck. rally YOUR team.

GC Alumni
(edited)

I'd switch whenever possible. Take D2 for instance. Ts were winning 8-0 (I think). I switched to CTs and we started pwning the heck outta the Ts and we almost came back and won... not to mension a certain someone said "I hope you don't think changing teams made us win" (something along those lines...) I think farmer said that because he hates me when I hackie chan him all the time :)

(w00t, Staff Sergeant time. +2000 exp!)

Edited by JackieChan

I'd switch whenever possible. Take D2 for instance. Ts were winning 8-0 (I think). I switched to CTs and we started pwning the heck outta the Ts and we almost came back and won... not to mension a certain someone said "I hope you don't think changing teams made us win" (something along those lines...) I think farmer said that because he hates me when I hackie chan him all the time :)

(w00t, Staff Sergeant time. +2000 exp!)

LOL. Yeah I do recall saying that, very jokingly over the mik. I do believe I also thanked you for switching sides. <3

Ha! that is a sweet shirt scuba.