Gears of War and UT2K7 releases

Flitterkill

So Epic just concluded a large viral marketing campaign, with xbox live members being spammed cryptic Gears-related messages from in-game characters leading to a big announcement.

The end result?

Slightly to heavily angered mobs of GOW fans who spent time trying to decode the damn thing.

An Xbox live demo for Gears released in a few weeks? That'd be a big announcement.

Nah - just the release date of November - which - for the most part - everyone already knew.

Oh - and that the game will retail for a substantial chunk of change ($60 to $70 I guess)

So - happy campers there :blink: (Note to Epic: a viral marketing campaign that leads to the announcement of the release date that most people had already more or less known about is perhaps not the best use of a viral marketing campaign...)

Why post this nonsense here?

Well, consider: would Epic want to launch what they would hope to be a major new franchise at around the same time that they launch the heavily awaited next UT incarnation?

Yeah - probably not. They aren't even releasing a demo for GOW at all - they are busting posterior on GOW right now to make the November launch - I imagine this is taking away from UT2K7 as well.

For UT2K7 they may be banking on piggybacking on the consumer release of Vista as well (ride that Redmond marketing wave!) - What? - it's supposed to be out in January? You sure...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/28/microso...-vista-release/

Are any of you kids have/getting an Xbox360? Just curious

-Fk

Just a keyboard unfortunately and playing online with a gamepad does nothing for me, which is why I've only got the very basic (read free) xbox live subscription.

It's a great shame really as I think that whilst PC gamers are generally PC gamers with FPS games etc. they've missed a huge chunk of potential market, I'd happily play Perfect Dark Zero with a mouse and keyboard. I'd probably be more inclined to buy more FPS for the 360 as well if I could.

As it is, PC for FPS and strategy games, 360 for RPG, fighting games and driving games for me.

My son has a 360 and it has kinda sat there for a while while he waits for the new installment of a racing game he likes, don't remember the name. he is a big racier and mmo fan. He plays COV a lot. I'll have to dig up the GOW thing and see if he is interested. I tried playing UT on XBox but to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

I like FPS on 360...I'll probably get TFC2 and HL2:EP2 for the 360 instead of PC ( := ) and GOW is going to be a must have! I also really hope they release UT2007 for the 360! (and then link xboxlive with internet gaming...oh boy, think of the possibilites...I would get pwnt!)