Adding a SATA Harddrive

Lunk

I've never added a harddrive to a SATA setup before anything I need to watch out for?

Currently I've got a 150 gb WD HD split into 2 partitions of 75 gb a piece. I want to add another HD for storage purposes. Not really looking to setup a RAID configuration. Just want some more storage space.

Thanks.

Have you considered a network storage device? Might be a nice, easy way to add storage for all the computers you have.

I've been thinking about this X. Been looking around for one that works via 10/100 network connection that's not to expensive. Not one that you have to connect to a pc.

I put my first sata drive in this pc....I had no issues. I just plugged it in and went. Then the ide drive, I just set to slave on the jumpers, and it shows up in windows as just another storage drive.

I've got a SATA drive in my pc. I didn't know that you could add an IDE one with a SATA setup. :D Will have to try that.

You should be able to have any combination of ATA and SATA drives as long as you have a controller to plug into. You might have to fiddle with settings in BIOS (to enable/disable various RAID configs) but there shouldn't be a reason not to add a second SATA drive.

I think he wants to add an IDE hd for storage, not another SATA. In which case, there is no need to set up a RAID at all, just make sure the IDE drive is set as a slave and it will just be storage.

I have my old IDE drive plugged right into the primary IDE on the mobo, set to slave, and my SATA plugged into the correct spot and there is no problems at all, I didnt have to do any configuring at all. The IDE hard drive controllers should already be installed from the original installation, if not, just install the drivers from your mobo disc. The only problem could come if you have an older mobo that doesnt auto detect drives...but most anything made in recent years does.

• 2 weeks later...