RAM cards not at 100%

FoolishMan

When I bought my PC it came with 512 MB of RAM. It had 3 slots to put in RAM cards and 2 were already taken up (I presume that each card had 256 MB of RAM). I eventually bought an extra 512 RAM card and put it in the final slot. My RAM did not go to 1 Gig like I hoped, but insted went to 768 MB of ram.

I know the cards are properly placed and I have rearanged them in diffrent order but nothing happend as of yet.

My RAM slots look something like this...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/PZE...uterpics004.jpg

...where 2 slots are close together and the last one is farther away.

Just in case...

AMD Athlon XP 1900+

1.60 GHz, 768 MB of RAM

Oh and by the way, thanks for your guys suggestions with my drivers. They are working perfecty again. :spin2:

Do you know your motherboard model number? That pic is of a NF4 Lanparty which I think is Socket 939. Your XP 1900+ is Socket A.

My first guess, would be that the one slot by itself is one channel and the other 2 slots are another channel. Try putting the 512 in the slot by itself and the 2 256's in the other slots. Need exact motherboard model number to really diagnose.

Edited by HWarrior

The first 2 that are close together are different than the one that is by itself.. Like the first 2 are pc133 and the one by itself is pc2100,2700 or 3200... Its a feature mobo's like to give you for upgradeablity..

The first 2 that are close together are different than the one that is by itself.. Like the first 2 are pc133 and the one by itself is pc2100,2700 or 3200... Its a feature mobo's like to give you for upgradeablity..

well batman, that picture he posted was a newer motherboard with 4 slots... and only 1 single stick being used.

Some older motherboards alowed for PC133 OR DDR memory. If this is the case, you can only use one or the other. But I seriously doubt this is the case. Mainly because your RAM went up to 768... He had 256x2. There is no way he could be using half and half if its a combo of DDR and PC133.

Try only using two stick and see what you get

512&256 then

512&your other 256. See if both give you 768.

Then make sure that both 256's give you 512.

sounds odd..

And yes..HW could be right. Read your manual and check out the slots.. Maybe 3 slots cannot be used.

Thats not a picture of my motherboard, I just googled a picture quickly before I went to school. I just used that picture to show that 2 slots are close together and one is farther apart which I'm assuming is the problem.

My motherboard is...

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

NVIDEA nForce2 Ultra 400

Serial No.: 4AMM1S1141

Part No.: 90-M7A770-GOUAYOZ

A7N8X-E DELUXE-UAYOZ

(This might be too much information, hope nothing bad happens too my PC from hackers :unsure: )

(edited)
A7N8X-E Deluxe

oh so you really have 4 slots?

I had this same motherboard.

Try this configuration

slot 1&2, use the 256er's. Put the 512 in either of the other two. Do not put the 256 right beside the 512. Does this result in only 512 worth of memory?

Edited by NOFX

Nope only 3 dimm slots on that board. My HTPC has that board with a 2500 Barton and 2 512's.

Some Notes: You can get it to run with 3 dimms but it is very picky. You may not get all 3 to play together. It would be best if all your modules were from same manufacturer and CAS. Just so you know, in terms of performance, you would be better off with 2 identical 512's to run dual channel. That said...

Try this...

Going from CPU left to right the dimm slots are A2, A1, B1.

Put 512 in B1 (furthest from CPU)

Put 256's in other 2.

If you were to try 2 512's, then they would go in the A1 & B1 - leaving the closest to the CPU empty.

Hope this helps.

Very odd...

I tried your way Hwarrior and was shocked to see that I only had 512 MB of RAM!

I turned off my PC and decided to try to check each RAM card seperately. (They all looked alike ecept for 2 having 'Made in China' and one having 'Made in USA')

First card: 256 MB of RAM...

Second card: 256 MB of RAM...

Third card: 256 MB of RAM... :o

*Sigh* I guess that explains it, I paid for a 512 MB card but only got a 256 one. Thanks Best Buy. <_<

Then again my fault for waiting so long to address the problem (bought the card about a year ago)

I really live up to my screen name sometimes :spin2:

There is still one more pssibility. Sometimes older motherboards have a quirk where they read high density RAM improperly. Low Density RAM reads correctly though.

You can see whether it is high or low density by the chips on the memory card itself. If there are black memory modules on both sides of it then it is low density.