Bunny

mookie

bunnydp7.th.jpg

I almost hit this with the lawnmower today. It's so small I thought it was a bird when I saw it, but I had to stop the mower when it didn't move aside. It's basically lame in its back legs, but I'm thinking that could be normal for a rabbit this size. I just wonder how it got where it did; I found it about 25 yards from the nearest brush.

GC Alumni

dixiemg9.th.jpg

Here's a better size comparison. I was going to take it back outside in this dixie cup, but it held onto the rim and I was afraid it'd jump ship onto the tile floor. I left it back near where I found it, and I saw two others within a few yards of there. Neither one appeared to be lame, so I figure this one will get eaten within a few days by a bird.

It is probably dehydrated by now...it will not drink water froma bowl, so don't bother with that. Go to the local pet store and by a bottle and nipple for baby cats. Buy some (animal equivalent) milk formula and try that...make sure you warm it up first.

What do you mean it is lame? Cannot walk or hop? Most of time, young rabbits will freeze and not move when handled or approached...they become catatonic...that is part of their fight or flight response...it is normal...

On the other hand, if it is injured in its legs...then it is best to euthanize it...

It will need cover (hiding) during the day and warmth (low setting on heating pad under the box)

Try to get it to eat solid food (alfalfa, clover, green veggies etc...) NOT CARROTS!. If it does not and will not drink the mile sub, then euthanize...that is most humane way, so it doesn't have the discomfort of thirst/starve to death.

Either that or let it go...most rabbits born this year are twice that size and eating and living on their own...

I did a stint in wildlife rehab in college...

GC Alumni
It is probably dehydrated by now...it will not drink water froma bowl, so don't bother with that. Go to the local pet store and by a bottle and nipple for baby cats. Buy some (animal equivalent) milk formula and try that...make sure you warm it up first.

What do you mean it is lame? Cannot walk or hop? Most of time, young rabbits will freeze and not move when handled or approached...they become catatonic...that is part of their fight or flight response...it is normal...

I already put it back where I found it. It was only inside for about 2 hours so hopefully it's not dehydrated. Basically it was crawling around inside the box but not using its hind legs at all (i.e. dragging itself like if you've ever seen a dog with broken hind legs). I'm thinking this rabbit will probably never walk let alone hop; it'll probably be a snack for an owl or a falcon pretty soon.

sounds cruel, but that is the course of nature.

unfortunately, its injuries are probably human-caused or pet-caused, so that kinda takes the "nature" out of it.

If it does die, there will be dozens to replace it...but...that is why I said euthanize...if you find it 2 days from now and it looks worse, then wrap it up in a nice, soft hand towel (sorta tight) and put it in the freezer...

That is the most painless, humane way to euthanize small animals. They succumb to hypothermia, fall asleep (get warm/fuzzy/happy/euphoric feelings first), then die.

I hope that is how I go...heh.