Smp For source

FORZ

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...threadid=481321

When they release hl2:ep2 it will support smp. Its unkown if cs:s or dod will get it but it will be possible now that the source engine will support it.

What this mean, this means for everyone with a daul core cpu or u p4 users out there with hyperthreading there will for sure be a performance increase. Hopefully as large as what was seen in q4 when they released smp. This is a big big update for source and if it comes to cs:source it could make alot of p4 users that currently having problems with fps playabe. This update can bring old p4's to the level of play that there amd counter-parts have been at for a long time. Needless to say it will affect all daul core user the same better performance.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_...mance/page3.asp

i to think this is huge and am very excited if this is the case. i know still my biggest limiting factor is my cpu.

on the other hand it's not at all logical that it would make p4s with hyper threading any faster. it's still only 1 cpu and uses 100% of the cpu in game. a dual core on the other hand still has ~50% left over when playing cs.

"on the other hand it's not at all logical that it would make p4s with hyper threading any faster"

It should considering most people turn off HT because it gives about a 10 fps increase cause source isnt programmed correctly. With smp correctly implentmented into source it should not only give back the lost 10 fps or so, that are lost do to source not being smp and yeild better proformance while doing it.

People with daul core HT p4's will see the most improment cause there cpu will go from functioning like 1 cpu to functioning "like" 4 cpu's. allowing there cpu to do 4 thread's at the same time instead of one.

Daul core AMD's will prolly see the next biggest boost. Because they will now be able to execute 2 threads at once.

followed by older single core P4's with HT. The only performance u will see in the catagory of cpu is going to be small but it will be there because single core P4's with HT will use smp and allow the cpu to do 2 threads at once.

Sry single core amd users u are out of luck.

ok that explanation makes sense. it's not gaining them anything though really. just gaining them performance in other areas cause they can keep ht on.

again though, it's not logical that dual core ht cpus will gain anything other than those lost fps for having ht enabled. yes they can process 4 threads but they can only do it as fast as 2 cpus.

amd dual core and new core 2 will see the biggest boost with source being smp as they are the best gaming cpus right now.

HT will gain more than just the "lost" fps when its on becouse of the way HT works, just becouse the CPU is maxed out doesnt mean every clock cycle was used, its the unfortunate reality of CPU's. The HT will kick in and allow another thread to compute some data when the first thread has a cache miss. It doesnt gain a whole lot of performance, but it almost adds up and makes better efficiency out of that 1 core.

BTW. Designing thread safe programs suck, I never realized how easy it could be to corrupt data :P

what that guys said is what I was trying to say. All HT cpu should see a proformance boost how much is the real ? that will only be answered when the update comes. All dual cores will see proformance boost but how much is still in ? till it comes. so it logic to assume that any daul cores with HT will see the largest boost this doesnt mean that a p4 Will slaughter a amd cause its daulcore+HT it just means that for those of u with Daul core+HT U will be more on the level of your amd compeitor then u where before.

AmD core2 will still only be able to do 2 threads, While the daul core p4's will be able to care out 4 threads after this update.

lets try this cujo to make it eazyer to understand. mind u these are just numbers I am making up.

AMD- hl2 100fps, With smp hl2 150 fps= 50% performance increase and is still faster then the p4

P4- hl2 70fps, With smp hl2 130 fps= 90% performance increace But is still slower

Notice the p4 got the most performance increase but yet can still be slower then the AMD.

Edited by FORZ

i completely understand but i doubt you'll see a marked difference in performance. while i agree a single core is not being maxxed out with one thread i think the differences will be miniscule. has anyone seen any numbers from quake 4 or oblivion with and without ht?

anyway, i'm certain the difference will be well within a 1 or 2% margin of error.

Edited by Cujo

okay. all i know is, i might not be gettin the performance boost.

on a p4 w/ht i'd be surprised. i know you'd get a bigger jump with a simple upgrade to dual core amd or core 2. even without smp optimizations.

I have 3 single core P4's with ht. Maybe i'll take some benchy when I get a chance.

One with orginal q4 out of the box and one with the current patch. Both of them once with HT and once without.

Edited by FORZ