Medieval Total War II

Xterminator

For those of you who are fans, it's being released in 3 days! i can't wait.

If you've never played the series, you can read up about it on:

Total War!!

Ign had a small write up about the latest installment as well:

Review

for those of you who like RTS games mixed in with epic real-time battles then you'll definately enjoy this game!

I heard it was actually out even though most magazine articles *such as the one in my recent Games for Windows: The Official Magazine a.k.a. Computer Gaming World* say it comes out on the 17th, I went to gamestop, bestbuy, and gamespot and they all said the 14th. Sadly however I will not be able to pick up until this Friday anyways so it doesn't make a big difference to me : \.

However, beyond my rambling about the release date, I think this game looks AWESOME. I've been a fan of the Total War series since my friend told me about the original Medieval War after I heard him talking about Shogun : Total War I decided I would give it a try. As this game seems to have come out already in Europe, I have heard many people on the Gamespot forums saying that it runs better then even Rome: Total War meaning the engine looks twice as good and it runs twice as good :).

my bro d'led the full version the other night. I played it last night. It was intense. It's much more indepth now. I also find the battles more realistic and tougher than before.

I sieged a city and attacked it with my siege towers (as is my usual) and i had to send in 3 sets of reinforcements on the wall to deal with 1 enemy unit. Plus...my guys were more advanced than theirs. I was a bit frusterated but moved on.

What really ticked me off....I sent an army to take over a rebel city. The army seiged it, 2 turns later i hear "Siege has been lifted". Turns out the rebels bought off my general and i lost a full army of 20 units to the rebels. Suffice it to say i brought down my wrath on them hard! and in the end i took the city :D

I likes dis game...it's fun!

allanon what people have said is true. It's runs so much more smoother now, even in battles when you go to 4x speed. Glad to see they made it run nicer.

one thing i noticed that i dont really understand the purpose of. You can "downgrade" a city. So if you have a fortress, you can downgrade it to a city or to a village. You lose all the buildings that were part of the previous level. I dont see an advantage to this.

my bro d'led the full version the other night. I played it last night. It was intense. It's much more indepth now. I also find the battles more realistic and tougher than before.

I sieged a city and attacked it with my siege towers (as is my usual) and i had to send in 3 sets of reinforcements on the wall to deal with 1 enemy unit. Plus...my guys were more advanced than theirs. I was a bit frusterated but moved on.

What really ticked me off....I sent an army to take over a rebel city. The army seiged it, 2 turns later i hear "Siege has been lifted". Turns out the rebels bought off my general and i lost a full army of 20 units to the rebels. Suffice it to say i brought down my wrath on them hard! and in the end i took the city :D

I likes dis game...it's fun!

allanon what people have said is true. It's runs so much more smoother now, even in battles when you go to 4x speed. Glad to see they made it run nicer.

one thing i noticed that i dont really understand the purpose of. You can "downgrade" a city. So if you have a fortress, you can downgrade it to a city or to a village. You lose all the buildings that were part of the previous level. I dont see an advantage to this.

Maybe in order to lower the upkeep of a city and lower unrest if the population thinks that your government has too much military power?

Oh wait I think I know what it is now, I just got the game an hour a go and yes it is indEEd awesome. However, changing a city to a castle is not necessarily an upgrade, it just changes the function. Cities produce more income and allow foreign traders and diplomats to come, while as castles, fortresses, and beyond are military strongholds and thus do not produce as much money.

Is the city management a little more detailed now? I want it to be a little more like CIV4... Maybe not to that degree but with more intuitive options.

I guess if the information was displayed in a way that makes actual sense it would be great. Basically you had three options and those were not 'fine tunable' (taxes) (this is rome, not the new one).

Oh wait I think I know what it is now, I just got the game an hour a go and yes it is indEEd awesome. However, changing a city to a castle is not necessarily an upgrade, it just changes the function. Cities produce more income and allow foreign traders and diplomats to come, while as castles, fortresses, and beyond are military strongholds and thus do not produce as much money.

I'm gonna go buy the retail version after work. I like having all the information packages that help you out like the technology tree and what not. I'm really having fun with this game. Can't wait to cross the sea and battle the Aztec's!

nice allanon! ummm unfortunately i'm not that far.

First of all everyone i've talked to has said their faction is England hah so that's awesome (mine is as well). I think they have the most strategic position on the map of all the available factions.

As for progress, i'm biding my time. I took over all the rebel towns in the vicinity both on the island and the mainland. My nobles keep telling me to go after Reims but i dont wanna start a war with France, so i've come up with a new strat. I'm going to attack France all in 1 blow...Take out all their territories in 1 shot.

The only thing i'm worried about is having a crusade called on me by the Pope. I was reading in the handbook that it can happen, you'll have all the christian factions send armies against you.

I was gonna go after scotland and the pope wasn't pleased, so i backed off. I think i'll just bite the bullet and go in there. If all else fails i'll just invade the papal states. Unfortunately you can't take over the papal states. Even if you capture all the territories, a christian faction that is not excommunicated by the pope will offer it's lands for the papacy.

Crazy! i love this game..

So how far are you guys? I just got to turn 60 on England and have so far taken three provinces in the holy land, been excommunicated by the Pope and am close to destroying Milan and France.

I've gone through about turn 25 as england. I had an unfortunate turn of events then when William died, and rufus got killed on the way south by pirates. I just called it a mulligan and re-started. :)

Love the game though.

Allanon...go with the excommunication if the pope will let france attack you and not let you retaliate....well then that pope is playing sides.

It happened the same to me. I bought a territory from Spain during trade negotiations. A few turns later Spain sends 2 huge armies to siege it. They were not told by the Pope to stop. As soon as i retaliated the pope sends me an excommunication warning. I ignored it and decimated Spain. I was then excommunicated (big whoop) I own the territory right beside Rome and it has a full garrison of troops. Eventually the pope died and a new one was re-elected and i was no longer excommunicated. Now I'm back in his favour and i'm taking out all non-christian factions first. I've managed to buy territories around the map and started raising armies there. As soon as i take out all the non-christian factions i'm goin after the left overs :D.

Ok so I started a campaign with England again. I had troops battling the Aztecs in South America, Sicily attacking me from the Italian Peninsula, France attacking with some weird strength despite how often I win in battle against it, the Moors hid in Timbuktu which I didn't even know you could go to in Medieval 2: Total War and the Timurids crushed my North African cities along with the renewed vigor of the Moors. Oh, and Denmark won....

Morale of the story, Spain's infantry sucks until later in the game and don't wait until turn 50 to take out your rivals before they expand into another continent :)

get em from the get go :D. The only advice i can give is the advice given by Napoleon himself. Do not fight battles on more than 1 frontier. Do not divide and conquer! try to buy territories when you can through negotiations. When i want to take over a Christian faction, i'll try to cut them off from their other cities, so buy the territories in the middle. It seems to work.

A few questions. . . .

1) Diplomacy: I really haven't been able to get diplomacy to give me anything outside of trade rights. I have yet to successfully be able to offer an alliance or ceasefire. Any tips?

2) Preists: Short of killing heretics (which I have only seen 2 or three times in 80+ turns) how do I raise piety enough to promote to a cardinal?

Also, do any of you use AI management for cities and towns? I have been setting some of my backfield (non border territories) to financial based AI and it seems to be working fairly well. I'm playing england and I think I have York, Inverness, Dublin, and the one to the left that I can't spell, set to AI management. I don't really use the territories for much other than $$ so it appears to have worked fairly well for me.

The downside now is that I'm fighting milan, spain, denmark, and rebels. I was attackign spain and milan/denmark came in from behind. boo. . . .

Loving the game tho.

As far as diplomacy goes I've been able to do ceasefire's, trading rights, alliance's the same way as in RTW. Now in Medieval 2 it seems that whenever you are in a war with a country your rating will go down, even if they attack you first. When you propose something it will say demanding, generous, etc. which is basically your change of passing it.

Also as far as getting priests promoted to cardinals I think it's luck, and papal favor, or at least as far as I know. Other one is Caermoon/Wales if I'm catching you, personally I try to get as many generals as possible and leave the non battle ones in cities so I can adjust them manually. I personally am a bit confused by the auto managment settings, I think they mostly for the build order though, with the exception of financial which will also raise the tax. I started over with England and now am almost at turn 50 with Scotland out and France almost entirely conquered. We should play online together some time.