Digital Camcorder

Nick Soapdish

I'm getting my mom a digital camcorder for xmas. I know little about them other than they rule.

I'm looking for one under $300 hopefully that can record to a dvd cuz my mom is technologically challenged. So what's the deal about these mini dv's and all that? Anything I should steer towards or away from?

Anyone know of a good refurb vender for these?

Thanks, soapy

There are a lot of bad reports going around about the recordable dvds and people losing data.

I have a JVC digital camcorder which writes to the DVDs, I've had a couple of occasions where I've lost 20 minutes of recording, but this has been my fault .... unintentionally shaking the unit whilst it's recording to the disk etc. In all honesty it is avoidable if you have the patience to hold the unit relatively still whilst it burns to the disk and it hasn't happened since the first couple of times I didn't let it do it's thing, it's only 10-15 seconds.

If I were to buy one for my parents I would not buy one that burns to the mini DVDs, exactly for the reason above. I have the patience to let it do it's thing before moving it, but I don't believe for a second that my parents would.

mini-dv is very good on quality, but the only downside is that you would have to hook it up to a separate recording device (or computer) to have an in-hand universally playable copy. dvd burners are coming down in price though.

The same goes for those that have internal hard drives, but those probably aren't in the price range that you are talking about.

i would recommend getting a mini-dv camcorder, then burning the movies for them when they are done shooting :wiggle2:

mini-dv is very good on quality, but the only downside is that you would have to hook it up to a separate recording device (or computer) to have an in-hand universally playable copy. dvd burners are coming down in price though.

The same goes for those that have internal hard drives, but those probably aren't in the price range that you are talking about.

i would recommend getting a mini-dv camcorder, then burning the movies for them when they are done shooting :wiggle2:

Um, mine will convert it into a universally playable DVD if so required (I know I said I have a JVC one but in all honesty I can't remember, I'll see if I can find it online, it was a Costco purchase). But at $6 per disk, I do as you suggest above and copy it to PC/then burn the DVD.

edit: it's a panasonic.

Edited by Leveller

Um, mine will convert it into a universally playable DVD if so required (I know I said I have a JVC one but in all honesty I can't remember, I'll see if I can find it online, it was a Costco purchase). But at $6 per disk, I do as you suggest above and copy it to PC/then burn the DVD.

edit: it's a panasonic.

Mini-dv = a small dv TAPE

mini-dvd = a small dvd to which your camcorder records directly

there is no noticeable quality difference with the mini-dv tapes (I have an HD camcorder that uses these tapes - amazing picture quality in 1080i. the tape will only play in the camcorder, hence hook it up to something else to record to dvd :peace:

Edited by boilersax