help me spend my christmas money

Z3RO

ok so im looking at this mobo and processor

mobo

processor

im basically looking for a processor upgrade from my sempron 3000+. i don't want to go pcie yet because i just got my radeon x1600 pro 512 and i dont have the funds for a new video card.

im looking to keep it around $150 for both. 200 max.

honestly, it's not even worth the upgrade. what is your sempron? is it socket a or 754 or what?

that cpu and mobo is crap and i wouldn't buy it no matter what sempron i had.

with that money, i'd rather get an am2 cpu with an am2 motherboard and use the onboard video and save for a pci-express vid card.

its socket a and im almost 100% positive their is no upgrade form my current cpu

this is my current set up

mobo

cpu im pretty sure this is it i might have the 2800+ ill have to double check when i get home.

gig of cheap ram

the radeon card

creative fatality sound card

cheap 150gig wd hard drive

most of this being out of an emachines i got over a year ago.

so if its not worth upgrading this any further let me no.

its socket a and im almost 100% positive their is no upgrade form my current cpu

this is my current set up

mobo

cpu im pretty sure this is it i might have the 2800+ ill have to double check when i get home.

gig of cheap ram

the radeon card

creative fatality sound card

cheap 150gig wd hard drive

most of this being out of an emachines i got over a year ago.

so if its not worth upgrading this any further let me no.

Z3Ro you were in the exact same boat i was, and i decided to save up and overhaul the system entirely. Socket A is dying. and by dying i mean dead :( AGP is also dying, not dead yet, but expensive as heck to upgrade to compete with PCI-E

So 2 pieces of your motherboard (the two most critical to gaming, no less) are dying. 1 is pretty much gone, Socket A.

Do some research and see what kinda chipset you wanna go with, something that can CHANGE to dual-core is important i think for the future of gaming (when stuff like Crytek comes out)

Then, make sure its PCI-E compatible. you can usually find a good Mobo for under 100$, usually around 70 if you look hard.

Socket T (LGA 775) is pretty popular now, and a good budget PC with good expandibility would be the Socket 939 series, which I am currently running, lets find a good 939 board for you :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813188007

Theres a solid choice, its cheap.. has dual PCI-Express compatibility (IS PCI-E in the first place) and is .. well, cheap! its really well priced. Also has standard 400 DDR Ram, i know DDR2 is out and a bit better, but you can get some pretty fast DDR Ram, when you have the cash, its pretty pricey for like 2 gigs i think your lookin at 150 Easy, but yea.. its got all the features you want.

Heres another, slightly more popular model that isnt Too pricey:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131569

Now you need a good Processor.

Id say a solid 'budget' choice would be:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103528

So your still way under your price mark, about 150 if you went with the big board, 120 if you went with the lesser :) But you need a new graphics card, your new board doesnt take AGP.

In my opinion the video card is the heart of the box, so lets get you something nice, but a great price, i'd say:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130017

This baby will run everything, Counter-Strike at full blast at a solid 50-60FPS and is just only over 100$ 120 after rebate.

So now we're at 280, WAY over the price mark, or like 250 if you went with the cheaper board.

So yea, that would be a hot budget setup right there :P Plus you can expand to Dual-core, PCI-E, and stuff, th system will last you a good 3-6 years if you upgrade it steadily. But dont just go and buy everything because i said so, i know a lot about CPUs and GPUs and how to put a solid system together, but others probably know a lot more, do some research and make your own decisions :) G/L and enjoy the $$

Edited by k-wix

I was really just looking to tide me over till tax season when i plan to blow my tax return on a whole new rig. so if its not worth putting any more money into my gehto rig then i will use my money to buy some thing eles :D its looking like saving is going to be the option for me right now. unless some one has some handme down parts thier willing to let go :D