Weird Lag

Chimmpp

I keep getting this lag, (not sure if thats what it is...) where my game freezes for a sec, then my weapon setup pops up on the right side of the screen (like when you buy stuff). Its not because of my ping cause its been low most of the time, anyone know why its happening, or how to stop it?

you must be getting loss, the guns popping back up like you just bought them are becouse your client is getting an entire gamestate update since it lost so many packets.

I noticed the game doesnt always show the loss in netgraph if its popping up in huge chunks. It can come from so many places its hard for any of us to say the cause. It could be your ISP, it could be you. download pingplotter and run it to the gameservers. It will show where you are getting loss.

I would also suggest rebooting your modem and firewall, every now and then mine go postal and start dropping packets. A reboot fixes them right up.

This is my "Suddenly CS:S is acting strange" guide.

1. Spyware: Download adaware from www.downloads.com that might help. You don't have to use this one but

i personally do recommend it... also make sure windows firewall is on to help prevent some spyware.

2. Windows fire wall: make sure steam.exe and hl2.exe are in the exceptions list.

start<settings<control panel<windows firewall<exceptions.

3. Hard drives: Run defrag on your hard drives(regularly). Sometimes it will cause strange

things to happen in game. (start<programs<accessories<system tools<disk defragmenter)

4. Can-O-Air: Investing in one of these every now and then, if you don't use water cooling, is a good idea.

Sometimes dust can clog up a heat sink, and cause heat to build up. Which can cause loss of FPS.

Simply open your case, point at the heat sink, and spray. please... please... remember DON'T HOLD

THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN. And make sure your computer is off.

(edited)

What if my ping goes up to about 150, sometimes 230 or more and back down to 50?

Sometimes it happens within 5 second intervals and it lasts for about an hour. Thats why I'm not playing now. My ping hits 200 and back to 50 every couple seconds.

The telephone repair guy came out and said that its not noise on our line. The DSL guy still hasn't come out to check our modem/router. We lost our noise filter a while ago and its not installed.

Our modem is not next to any power devices or near any magnetic interference.

Any clue?

Oh and here is my plingplotter, your going to be amazed.

packetloss1cv2.jpg

Edited by TheGeek