Problem.. possibly Video Card

ShadowDog

Okay so ever since i installed a VGA Cooler, theres some weirsd things going on.

In Counter-Strike and Need For Speed: Carbon (which i installed after the VGA Cooler)

i see like things that arent there.. like pieces of wood or something.. its not like solid, i go through it and at certain angles i dont even see them. they arent suppose to make sense or anything.. they are like glitches.. and its getting REALLY annoying. seeing as when i play Need For Speed some of them are as big as walls and i think im about to drive into a wall, which is actually not there.

Someone know what could be wrong?

its a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Mobo: ASUS A8N Deluxe

RAM: 1.75g DDR

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

P.S. the vga cooler is like one of the ones you glue one replacing the stock fan.. it isnt installed into another PCI slot... this one does a crapload of good.. cooled my video card big time.

you sure the new cooler is mounted right? sounds to me like artifacting from overheating.

Ditto...sounds like artifacts...

Did you clean vid card RAM and gpu?...use 95% alcohol and cotton swab...then reapply thermal pad or thermal paste to GPU chip and RAM modules...

If you don't mount new thermal paste then it WILL overheat.

Check temps!

AFter that...I would assume that perhaps you have ground or contact issues...? Did you ground yourself before touching the GPU board? A small amount of static can short some transistors on PCB.

If you did put new thermal paste on, did some leak from heatsink onto PCB?

Check that.

Check to make sure that heatsink mounting screws are not too tight.

LAST...

With all power off and unplugged, remove the card from the AGP and then reseat...sometimes that works...

GL!

Edited by Tek-Almighty

well i would have overheating problems.. so i keep my window open (in ohio in which it is currently snowing) and i have a fan blowing directly into the computer =P

but i put the side back on.

and i have an overhead fan blowing full blast.

I'll go out on a limb here and try this. Try putting the original fan back on the gpu and see if they go away when you play. If so, its possible that the new cooler is to much for the card and is just causing some wierdness.

Should'n be to much cooling for it but if all else fails try doing that.