Lost Planet

boiler

Anybody looking to get this? I've read the preview/reviews of this and played the single player demo from XBL, and I think I will be pretty addicted to it. Might even spring for an extension on my gold account that I let lapse. The reviews mention the story as being weak, plus a few quirks (like not being able to look straight up to shoot), but I don't think that will deter me from picking it up when it comes out Friday. :D The graphics look strong, and the explosions, etc. are very impressive (even in the pre-E306 demo)

Plus I think I will just about wet myself the first time I grapple onto someone's VS, hang on, and unload 8 bazillion rounds into the VS driver, and hijack it for my own destructive pleasure. :boing:

The story seems a bit lame, but playing through the first 3-4 missions definately gets you hooked. There are some quirks that I dont like in the campaign. A good example is: you collect x weapons/ammo beat the mission, when you start the next mission you are back to just the machine gun and 300 ammo again. I would still recommend it for anyone that likes 1st/3rd person shooters though.

The story seems a bit lame, but playing through the first 3-4 missions definately gets you hooked. There are some quirks that I dont like in the campaign. A good example is: you collect x weapons/ammo beat the mission, when you start the next mission you are back to just the machine gun and 300 ammo again. I would still recommend it for anyone that likes 1st/3rd person shooters though.

Y'ARRRR

I might cry if my bestbuy doesn't have any more left when I get off work at 2:30pm Friday.... I have $30 in reward certificates from my pre-holiday purchases!! Thats like getting it for half off! MUST BE ABLE TO USE CERTIFICATES!! :bang:

The premise and concept for the game is amazing. Playing it out is even better. Story is good so far, graphically it is great. Multiplayer is the best part in my opinion. Though it is hard to tell whose team is whose, so I had the problem of thinking I was TKing when I wasnt and vice versa lol. Definately a game to pick up because of the multiplayer, the single player is worth it also, though if you do not multiplay then just rent it.

picked it up today as well. I love it so far! Fighting the hugemongous akrid "bosses" is sweet, cause they're so impressive to look at.

I agree with the reviews thus far in that the story is pretty weak, and the cutscenes try to do too many plot twists in too little time.... I certainly don't want a MGS2 thing where I'm not playing for 15min, but a little more time fleshing out the story (and having it connect to the crap I'm shooting in game) would make it flow better. I really don't think it's taking away from the fun I'm having with the game though.

Thus far, money well spent IMO :boing:

• 2 weeks later...

hard to compare the two, they are very different. Gears of War mandates that you use cover and slide from place to place and pop out for a few rounds. Lost Planet harkens back to the day of "screw cover, blow everything away quick before they do the same to you". I do like the added variety of enemies and weapons that LP offers over GoW. The VSs are entirely too much fun to fight with, especially against the larger enemies :D There are a few battles with both lots of akrid and humans with VSs, and those are very impressive and hairy to be in.

graphically, GoW is THE standard to which most games will be compared to in the future. LP holds its own very well, but the main "wow" visuals are the huge enemies. The cutscenes are very good too.

There are a few parts that get a little monotonous, and the "hit me here" glowing parts of the akrid are a little too old skool at times, but the difficulty (normal or higher) is such that beating the bosses and stuff is very satisfying. I'd have to say I had just as much fun playing through Lost Planet as I did playing through Gears of War, although they are different kinds of fun. There's not boatloads of strategy needed to play through LP (except in the boss fights), but then again I like those kind of games as a change of pace.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but from what I hear and from my impressions of the single player, it should be good as well.

Anyways, I know that was a long answer to a short question Ebil, but I very much recommend this game to anyone who enjoys shoot em up games with a little variety (enemies) and twists (grappling hook, VSs)

Yeah...I'm a big console fan so I play the majority of games on consoles and use the puter for CS mostly...and things like spore...

LP is great...I was really disappointed when I beat this one boss thinking he was the end of the game...only to find out I was around the half way point :blink:

LP is great...I was really disappointed when I beat this one boss thinking he was the end of the game...only to find out I was around the half way point :blink:

lol, I was surprised to fight that boss at that time as well.... it was hard enough, I figured surely it was the last one! In hindsight though, the game wouldn't have been very long now would it? :spin2: