The Illusionist

TheGeek

8.5 out of 10 stars. It would have gotten a 10 if they fixed 2 things.

1. The cinematography (it was a little bed time story-ish)

2. The first time Eisenheim met Sophie on stage, there was a critical part that it took me at least 5 min after the movie to figure out. The twist at the ending was really shocking but they used a flashback from this part that didn't need to be in there and confused me.

There were some plot holes that could have been plugged up fairly easily, but they didn't decide to do so.

The ending was EXCELLENT!! I will watch it again just to put the pieces back together. Maybe the plot holes don't exist and I missed them.

The movie did seem like it was getting pointless at the 3/4 mark. But just near the ending the plot GOES INSANE! I didn't see it coming.

SPOILER

If all they were going to show was that she drugged the guy and faked to die, then why show the "soul" coming out of her flashback? unless it wasn't her and was the soul... And the duke, there is no way that he could have predicted the change in heart in the inspector, thus causing the dukes death.

2.5/4 stars

The movie itself was very slow and boring at parts, but the ending was very well done. The writer did a great job of hiding the suprise twist.

***SPOILER***

To answer Geek's question:

I don't think Eisenheim "predicted" the inspector's change in heart, which lead to the duke's death. I'm pretty sure his main goal was simpily to make the Duke appear guilty of the 'crime,' thus keeping the inspector so occupied that Eisenheim could make his final escape with his love.

***END SPOILER***

My wife and I watched this last night. She really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it but not as enthusiastically.

I really liked the cinematography. The story and subject matter is right up my alley. I didn't like Norton... You would think if your going to pay a guy millions to act in your movie he could have a voice that didn't sound like it belonged on a ten year old body. Beil was just ok but Giamatti was excellent as usual. But the 'plot holes' were the worst part.

SPOILERS

The impossible magic tricks. Of course I am not an experienced magician but I can understand general physics. Their hologramed characters walking down the aisle and passing past people MIGHT be able to be done nowadays but NO WAY could they have done it with primitive projection and uncontrolled space (thinking mainly of when the boy walks the aisle and a person puts their hand through his image). The Orange Tree was impossible as well. Plus the sword... It might be possible if done on a stage with an electromagnet... I don't know, but not an impromptu gathering as it was.

While I liked the ending they showed too much in the flashback. I think fewer images would have kept you questioning enough to rewatch or discuss afterward. At least limit it to what Giamatti's character actually saw.

SPOILER!!!!!!

***SPOILER***

To answer Geek's question:

I don't think Eisenheim "predicted" the inspector's change in heart, which lead to the duke's death. I'm pretty sure his main goal was simpily to make the Duke appear guilty of the 'crime,' thus keeping the inspector so occupied that Eisenheim could make his final escape with his love.

***END SPOILER***

Why did they show the flashback of the girl getting cut down by herself in the mirror? I still don't know what happened when the thing came out of the mirror.

They defiantly could have shortened the flashback.

The movie was quite dull at parts but I hold movies in high respect that blow you out of the water without expecting it.

And yes the prestige was WAY better. They would have gotten more people to watch this if they released this a little far apart from the prestige. Most of my friends thought it was a mockup.

There is no doubt that the prestige is better :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go with 7 out of 10 stars...was entertaining but not a movie I'll ever see again.

as for the ending...I rarely figure out movies before the end but this one I knew what was going on the whole time...was kind of disappointing.

I'm gonna go with 7 out of 10 stars...was entertaining but not a movie I'll ever see again.

as for the ending...I rarely figure out movies before the end but this one I knew what was going on the whole time...was kind of disappointing.

Wow, you saw that ending coming? pfft! don't believe you

how could you NOT see the ending coming?

*spoilers*

as soon as the "doctor" showed up at her dead body and gave the inspector the jewel I was like "wait a second...that's the same guy who he was talking to at the train" and from there it was easy to figure out.

*spoilers*

as soon as the "doctor" showed up at her dead body and gave the inspector the jewel I was like "wait a second...that's the same guy who he was talking to at the train" and from there it was easy to figure out.

wow, I'm dumb. now! i remember the jewel. I just thought that was the prince's jewel not the payment.

THE WHOLE THEORY OF THIS MOVIE = AMAZING

the actual film = Pretty damn good!

i give it an 8/10

*spoilers*

wow, I'm dumb. now! i remember the jewel. I just thought that was the prince's jewel not the payment.

it wasnt payment... it was to show a connection between the prince and the murder.