Weight training

TheGeek

Well I started weight training class at the college. I am a lot weaker in the upper body than what I first believed.

My lower body is fine and dandy but I have a lot of work to do.

Here is my maxing out on the first day.

Max Sit ups (per min) - 43

Max Push ups - 27

Bench press - 125lbs

Bicep curl - 57lbs

Hip sled - 340lbs

Calf - 195lbs

Leg curl - 105

Leg Extension - 205

Chest press - 130

I'm 6 foot 192lbs

13.8% body fat with 26 pounds of it.

Lets see how I do in 4 months of weight training.

My thigh muscle is killing me.

Edited by TheGeek

How much weight training have you done in the past? From the figures I know, that's not too much higher than mine. The most I get is what I do at home, hitting the track every once in a while, and whatever I get from skating and the stupid things I do. I started baseball last year, but besides that I've done nothing with sports besides P.E. and a few times with friends. I wanted weight training sometime this year since I hope to play baseball for school this season.

Hey Geek!

Good Job on posting. I found out it was rather more work to post up daily routines and diets. I even found it tiresome to post up pics each month b/c monthly didnt really show me anything. So I ended up stopping.

I have pics up now in my thread, and Ill be posting up again at the end of the semester. Late April/May.

I have a excel sheet that I am putting my weights into at the moment and I can post that up later too.

Good Luck :)

btw, I did legs today, stairs are tiring! Also, some resistance machines have weights that arent the real weight.. so it's real confusing when I can leg extension 150 lbs, which infact I know I can't. Ill still record it though to show production.

btw... eat like a mad man... I just had lunch and I'm still hungry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Here is my maxing out on the first day.

Max Sit ups (per min) - 43

Max Push ups - 27

Bench press - 125lbs

Bicep curl - 57lbs

Hip sled - 340lbs

Calf - 195lbs

Leg curl - 105

Leg Extension - 205

Chest press - 130

I'm 6 foot 192lbs

13.8% body fat with 26 pounds of it.

wow...how old are you.

You are probably better off than most of people here... :smiling2:

if you want to improve your bench try instead of doing three sets of the same wieght start to pyramid your weights.. start your first set at a lower weight so start with say 95lbs and do as many as you can, then on your next set stack up to 105lbs and do a few then for your last set put on say 115 and pump as many out as you can.. even one is good

also try while benching to have somebody spot you and help you overload your chest by helping you do an extra rep or 2 at the end of each set

.. also try to switch it up between barbell chest workouts and dumbell

hopefully those extra tips help ya out a little

Edited by Fairweather

no age?

Despite that, depends on what you are going for...

If you are working for endurance and recovery/health and overall strength...i would do pyramids twice a week. Of course, I suppose that depends on body type.

I do pyramid sets of 5 to 6 sets at 6-15 reps.

Start like fairweather said: 50% of max 12 reps, 65% of max 10-15 reps 75% max 6-8 reps, then back down.

I would never work the same body part/same exercise more than 2x per week. Not necessary.

Many people discount recovery time.

Also, I would space sets out with 5-8 min between like exercises. Say, do an incline bench, followed by dumbell flies or decline flies...then go to another exercise that works different muscle groups.

I like to do flexing and extension lifts in the same workout, alternate those.

Most people discount recover (negative) times. Give your muscles a hard workout (not more than 1 hour or 45 min...beyond this, anabolic recovery times are shortened anyway, due to glucose loads-lack thereof)...then give them time off, with aerobic and stretching days in between.

It really works wonders.

tek makes a good point, there are many different chest exercises you can do, your chest workout doesnt have to consist of only flat benchpress, try adding some flys or decline or incline or cables or negatives or nautilus machines.. ect ect

also maybe start to target secondary muscles like shoulders and triceps which help assist with benching in your workouts

tek also nailed it with stressing recovery amd not overworking anything, very important.

• 1 month later...
tek makes a good point, there are many different chest exercises you can do, your chest workout doesnt have to consist of only flat benchpress, try adding some flys or decline or incline or cables or negatives or nautilus machines.. ect ect

also maybe start to target secondary muscles like shoulders and triceps which help assist with benching in your workouts

tek also nailed it with stressing recovery amd not overworking anything, very important.

haha i took a 3 month break from weight lifting and went to the same workout. BAD IDEA. my abs hurt so bad, and not in a good way >_<

right now im just doing aerobic workouts to get me back to shape. I did a 7.5 minute mile. A personal best for me. The guys I was running with did it under 5 min >_> they must have been cheating