J25th: Press Event Info-Updated

Flitterkill

1) Name changed from UT2K7 to UT3.

Consider UT2K4 to be UT 2.5 and it makes sense - also now matches UT engine rev. (UE3)

Can also think of it as:

UT = 1

UT2003/2004 = 2

UT3 = 3

2) PC, PS3 were known. Now announced for Xbox360 as well.

No idea about cross platform play (pc users playing with xbox/ps3 users, etc.)

3) New Images.

See links below - there are others but hard to get now.

4) New Trailer.

Expounds on the single player and UT universe backstory for this game. Essentially, "In a world where Liandri Mining company made a tournament that was very popular, the Necris built an army and came to kick everyones ischial callosities. Now you want revenge. Hooray."

Naturally there are pretty moving pictures. Trailer = 1 minute long.

Some were really hoping for an announcement of the demo seeing as it would match with UT2K4 demo announcement (which was Early Feb 2004) but seems not to be.

The event is *not* over with yet, there may be more info and announcements but this is what is swinging as of 5pm Monday.

No time for images - others feel free to mirror or post. Technically there is supposed to be an embargo until tomorrow on some of this stuff but it is out there now.

Yes - IGN says that it is now reported as Second Half, 2007. Hope not, or at least hope we get the demo long b4 then.

Links:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/758/758367p1.html

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/...25113303397.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/...25113300225.jpg

Get the trailer from the first one.

-Fk

GC Board Member

Friday Morning Update:

1) BeyondUnreal short summary:

Midway's Gamers Day is over and all the big surprises are indeed true and, yes, Unreal Tournament 3 (I love saying that name) was on display in playable form. We'll post the assets later on today, as directed by Midway (gg ign), in the largest sizes possible and without idiotic watermarks.

What's there is really good and, frankly, I'm pleased that they're taking their time with this title. Mark Rein stated this evening that "this is not another series continuation, but is a whole - basically - next generation UT game. So this is the third generation Unreal Tournament in the third generation Unreal Engine technology". Rather than rush the title out the door, just to fit an artificial release window, they're taking all the time they think they need to get it right.

Back to the demo of the game real quick - the only gametype available was vCTF and none of the Main Menu was in place - so no poking around there. We spent several hours playing through VCTF-Corruption, the Asian-themed map that has been seen in past official screenshots. The game was setup to pit the Necris team versus the Axon team and it was interesting to get a feel for the new vehicle set. Let me put it simply, the Necris vehicles are tremendously fun to play. If you're looking forward to the game for its new vehicles, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You've seen the movies; you've heard the blurbs - basically it's all true: there are tons of nods back to the original Unreal Tournament. Dodging is very much like UT, the characters are large like UT, Death and feigning death are reminiscent to UT, and the weapons are loud and dangerous like UT. The answer to the question of the century: yes, the Shock Rifle primary and secondary fires at a rate much more similar to that of UT. And, of course, the game looks very good.

We'll get a full preview up, along with the aforementioned media over the course of the day

So - we got more on the way.

2) HighDef Trailer - if you haven't seen 1280x720 version, give me some time to upload the 50+meg .wmv file. Doesn't suck.

3) That Second Half, 2007 release.

That might still be the case but the truth is, that IGN source was the UK IGN - and they have been listed as second half 2007 forever now. Midway official guestimate is still 2nd Quarter, 2007 for us (April May June), which would mean a demo in a month or two. However, Epic still sez done when it is fun and they arethe final aribiters of release dates - so truly - no idea yet.

I'll try to mirror the new media here soon

-Fk

All of this procrastination and waylaying..smacks of pandering to the success of the recent consoles...

I guess they'd be fools not to do so...but the PC market has been 90%+ of their revenue and support and mod community...

It is sad that they've left us in the lurch for so long.

FTW.

This tinklees me off, specially the name change, b/c that this just a nod to those who don't really know what UT is all about...(namely consoles and noobs).

Anyways...if it sucks...I suppose I will have some justification for this rant, but I don't think it will...so ...suck eggs me.

GC Board Member

Actually, most folks love the UT3 name - at least the old school original UT(99) players do.

Anyways, gamespot has some stuff up - go take a look.

One thing they have is an interview with Rein and Morris.

To paraphrase:

We'd like to ship FALL 2007, but if it ain't ready the way we want it to be we won't.

Poo.

-Fk

Actually, most folks love the UT3 name - at least the old school original UT(99) players do.

Anyways, gamespot has some stuff up - go take a look.

One thing they have is an interview with Rein and Morris.

To paraphrase:

We'd like to ship FALL 2007, but if it ain't ready the way we want it to be we won't.

Poo.

-Fk

I am an "old school original UT(99) player..." and have been since that demo came out...

I don't really give two scheits about the name, cept for my above stated reasons...it is pandering to the success of consoles AND I will add that it sounds like they knew they would never get it out for most of 2007...Hell, they could name it "Pretty Pony's UT adventure" for all I care.

Fall?

FTW. They've really really really screwed the pooch on this one. How can there be so many screen shots and in game rendered video etc...and there isn't even a workable demo after 4 friggin years!?

I am just about done with this franchise if they don't get this right.

lol all talk! When it comes out you'll buy it and love it just like the rest of us will. In the mean time, it sucks waiting :)

"Pretty Pony's UT adventure". Hahahah I like that one! Though, I do like UT3 better than 2k7, just cause it has a nicer ring to it imho, and im tired of saying 2k4 and 2k3.

lol all talk! When it comes out you'll buy it and love it just like the rest of us will. In the mean time, it sucks waiting :)

"Pretty Pony's UT adventure". Hahahah I like that one! Though, I do like UT3 better than 2k7, just cause it has a nicer ring to it imho, and im tired of saying 2k4 and 2k3.

I just had a scary thought? They (Midway) would seem like idiots having a game named ut2007 come out in 2008. Purists like UT2003? Hmmm. I think the name change is due to some fear that they will not have it ready in time to their liking and fear some last minute problems. Calling it UT3, they can distribute it any time they want and take there reeeaaaaal looooooooonnnnnggggg swwwwweeeeeeetttttttttttttt tttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeeeeee.

I just had a scary thought? They (Midway) would seem like idiots having a game named ut2007 come out in 2008. Purists like UT2003? Hmmm. I think the name change is due to some fear that they will not have it ready in time to their liking and fear some last minute problems. Calling it UT3, they can distribute it any time they want and take there reeeaaaaal looooooooonnnnnggggg swwwwweeeeeeetttttttttttttt tttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeeeeee.

yeah...like i said

(edited)

Well, I guess we will see what happens. At least it sounds like they are working on it.

You know, it takes a long time to add those extra features to Duke.

(oops, soory - getting the non-released games confused)....

But I think the bottom line here is that by the time it is released, Flitter's frame-rate

problem in Vista might be fixed... And UT3 is find by me.

:biglaugha::biglaugha:

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Edited by Dingy

lol Flitter, I sometimes get all the way down to 25fps, and probably average 35-40...

What resolution are you running at? I have mine set to 1920x1200 w/ AA and AF on too. I just remember you commenting the other night about top score with only 30fps or something like that.

Well, by this fall c2d will be down a whole lot in price, and so will the 8800's (which is what theyr'e testing on now, with 24-30 inch monitors) so we'll be able to play it for cheaper by then with all the bells and whistles too :D

GC Board Member

No problems with 6600gt under XP getting the full 1900x1210 or whatever with 80 to 60 fps.

Think I mentioned this before but it is either:

1) Nvidia Vista Drivers not up to snuff yet.

2) 1 meg of ram: Plenty of room for UT to breathe under XP but not so much with Vista - Vista *does* take up nearly 512 with nothing really going on. UT should have plenty of room but might be doing some swap thing or sumthin (I'm not going to bother tracking it down)

3) Some other unknown conflict, or combination of the above.

Keep in mind - it does not matter at all - 1900 x 1210 with all the candy? 30fps. 800x600 with no candy? 30fps. So - beats me.

-Fk

Sounds like some strange v-sync strangeness to me... Though I'm the same way running fraps - 15fps recording for UT no matter what I do. It'll record F.E.A.R. everything maxed at 30, but not UT.

I was guessing about my fps. Maybe I'm way off, I'll check tonight. Ons definitely is harder on the system in big battles than in DM.

One meg of ram eh? How does your system even run? ;)

I'm also leaning towards the RAM thing. Just got Rainbow Six Vegas and SR's are at least 1 gig. THEY WEREN'T KIDDING!!!!! Now mind you i had to put it back on XP cause I could play for about 30 minutes and the stupid thing would bail out to desktop.

So ya, I think its the combo of Vista and ram requirements. I put UT back on XP and I'm getting 60 to 80 fps and averaging 70. Most maps, and lowest i've seen so far is like 45-50. But then again I'm running 32bit XP with a 7800gt. Question though for you inner workings genious's out there. 250 gig Seagate on ata 100---slow down on drive access of not? Got it in with a WD 160 gig on ata 133. Now I know I need to go SATA but that has to be on hold right now, along with my 20" lcd monitor and extra ram.

Anyways, see you guys tonight. I'll be on for a bit, same bat time same bat channel---that is if its still the same time 9pm EST?

I tried, got a 988 ping because my roommate was downloading. Dont blame her though, she was downloading SG-1 and Atlantis latest episodes :)

I'm running mine with a 7900gtx, SATA2 (only at 1.5/s) 250 gig, 2gig ddr400 dual channel, and i already said resolution etc.

I do notice a big difference that the 7900 gives me on games like F.E.A.R. etc, but UT is heavy processor dependant. I'm only 2.4 4200+.

edit: I average ~60fps in a 32 man server

Edited by DarkArchon

Here I hadn't checked the boards in a very long time and I saw this topic and I got excited and thought maybe there was something about to be released. Start reading down through and.....d'oh! Crapola still waiting. Ahh well! Haven't played in a dog's age but still looking forward to UT3.

Just finished downloading and watching the trailer....very nice.

Be well everyone!

-Gorg

GC Board Member

Just FYI for folks - I sent Gorg an email a few weeks (months?) back seeing what was up as he hadn't been round these parts much lately. Turns out our potato-lad has been promoted a few times and thusly is a very busy camper.

Hooray for potato promotions!

Booo for no UT play.

-Fk

MS confirms somewhere that this would be a cross-platform game. At least across Vista and the 360. Can't wait to pwn you old fellas from my couch!

Press the glowing X and logoff xboxlive before you get slapped around, SIR

MS confirms somewhere that this would be a cross-platform game. At least across Vista and the 360. Can't wait to pwn you old fellas from my couch!

Press the glowing X and logoff xboxlive before you get slapped around, SIR

rofl...you'll all have to give me 5 extra seconds so i can aim with the controller!