Buying Tips?

SuperJo

Anyone know some good sites for buying a computer or computer parts. Or even better if I can just tell the site wat parts i want and they will put it together for me, cause ive never built my own computer before..?

Without a doubt www.newegg.com is the best all around site. I always go to www.pricewatch.com to see what the lowest prices are, and then straight to newegg. They usually have close to if not the lowest price on pricewatch, and their excellent service, shipping, website - tells you if item is in stock, and no questions asked return policy make them #1. Ask around, you'll hear about many newegg fans.

As far as a system there are several choices. AMD or Intel? Coke or Pepsi? Do you have parts - video card, hard drive, sound card that you want to reuse in the new pc? Building your own PC is one of the best things a gamer can do, it seems intimidating at first but after you've done one you see how easy it is. There will be frustrations no doubt, but the reward of your own pc makes up for it. You'll also be 100% in tune with what needs to be upgraded in the future, and using off the shelf components you'll be able to swap out parts as required.

If I was building a PC today from scratch here's what I'd go with:

ShuttleSN41G2 The nForce2 chipset is the hottest thing out there right now. This one piece covers motherboard, case, power supply, CPU cooling, sound (SB Audigy quality), LAN, GF4 MX integrated video that I wouldn't use all in a great looking case. Shuttle has a similar Intel part if you go that way. About $345.

AMD XP2700+, about $255. You can go up to a XP3000+ but they start getting really pricey.

512mb top quality PC2700 (333mhz) DDRAM, about $67.

40gb Western Digital SE 7200rpm 8mb cache HD, WD400JB. About $80. Or an 80gb model for $102.

Lite On 52x CD-RW, about $55.

3.5" floppy drive, about $9.

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, about $299.

So thats pushing $1100 for a total, and no monitor, mouse, or keyboard. Too much?

A plain case with a nForce2 mobo (still with sound and LAN), decent PSU, a cooling solution will save you about $130.

An XP2500+ chip still with the 333mhz front side bus (FSB) will save you $80.

An ATI Radeon 9500 Pro will save you about $110. That could bring the total down to under $800.

Further resources:

Newegg

Pricewatch

Tom's Hardware I trust them implicitly.

Sharkey Extreme Guides Check out the High-end and Value Gaming systems they price out, very good info.

Well right now I have a dell computer, with a Sb512 Pci sound card, a geforce3ti200, yah i could keep my monitor and mouse and keyboard and i use a stereo connected to my computer for speakers. It has a CDRW and DVD drive. I dont want to spend to much, but I would really like an upgrade and a total redo-over.

This nforce2 thing? Are you saying it is a motherboard+videocard+soundcard+processor?! how does that work?>

hehe noob. nah j/k. Need to learn what your gonna do before you do it, that way you wont get ripped off.

Whats your processor and amount of RAM now?

Cuz if your running like a 2Ghz P4, then you dont need to upgrade that now. The Nforce2 is the chipset on the new AMD mobo's. Its the best out for AMDS arguable with the KT400, but I like the Nforce. the Nforce2 doesnt come with onboard video, but it does come with LAN and sound.

Yer gave me this site http://www.adamant.com/main.asp It was the cheapest i could find and they assemble it for only 20$.Heres what i got and it was 300-400 cheaper than the other sites i looked at.I havent got it yet so i dont know how there service is but it was easy ordering it on the phone.

Server, Antec SX1040BII, 400W ATX Power Supply $113.84

HDD, Western Digital, 80Gb UDMA/100 7200RPM, 8MB Cache $114.43

Motherboard kit:

Motherboard, Gigabyte, Pentium®-4, SIS chipset, GA-8SG667

Pentium®-4 2.8GHz(533MHz), 512k Cache Processor, Retail Box, mPGA 478pin

Memory, 512Mb, DDR, PC3200, 400MHz $556.65

Creative Labs, SB, Audigy, Gamer, Retail $90.23

PC-DVD, Sony, 16xDVD, Tray, INT, IDE, OEM $39.32

CD-RW, Lite-ON, 56x-CDR, 24x-RW, 56x-CD, Int, IDE, Black Color $62.54

Floppy Drive, Alps 3.5", 1.44Mb, Black $9.52

Kingston Ethernet card, PCI, 10/100BASE-T $9.90

Keyboard, Belkin, Black Color, F8E885-BLK $16.80

Subtotal: $1,013.22 thats with shipin and add 20$ for them to put it all togethor

If you're just playing CS then your setup is fine, but if you play alot of other newer games you would do well to upgrade your video card. And when that isn't cutting it in 6 months or a year build something new and put in this newer video card.

The nForce2 boards come in 2 flavors, SPP and IGP. The IGP boards add GF4MX video onboard, the SPP leaves it out. Read more here.

Unless his mobo can handle both types of RAM, The k7s5a and k7ama is the only one I know of....So i doubt it can. Heres where it gets kinda tricky. See if you can find a mobo that will support DDR ram your 1.7 and Future models of P4's. That way you dont have to up your cpu right away and will save ya some cash. and yes that vid card isholding you back. But if you dont have a powerful system to push the card then it will do no good, but a 1.7Ghz should run it good.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/2003...acharts-04.html