Noobsauce Question

I built my pc about 2 years ago off newegg, haven't opened the case since. If I'm adding a 320 sata 3.0 gb I just bought should I make an image of my 80 gb IDE and just use the new one OR 1.Install New hdd 2. Transfer files from the old one 3. Reinstall windows on the 80 gig IDE to run alone.

320 is plenty for me but I heard it is a lot faster to have a seperate hdd with the OS. Are there any problems with SATA and IDE compatability?

Here's what I'd do:

1 - install OS on the 320

2 - throw files over from the ide that you want to keep

3 - format ide and use as extra storage

I run everything I have off of a single 250 sata2 drive. It has all the speed I need. Your sata drive will be faster than your ide one.

i'd partition the 320 and do a fresh install. say 50gb for operating system and 270gb for storage. if you don't need the extra space i'd just sell the 80gb or buy an external enclosure for it and use it to carry files around.

Having your OS on a separate hard drive won't do anything except complicate things. The best thing you could do with those two drives is use the 320 for OS/ games, and put your page file on the 80gb.

Then again, since the 80 is ide, I would just leave it out entirely to keep things simple.

i'd partition the 320 and do a fresh install. say 50gb for operating system and 270gb for storage. if you don't need the extra space i'd just sell the 80gb or buy an external enclosure for it and use it to carry files around.

Ditto. That's what I did with mine: 100 for OS and regular files, 150 for games and music recording.

I would keep the 80 in your case and hooked up...

two reasons...

A. you could ghost your new fresh clean install onto that drive just in case...and never touch it less catastrophe strikes...

or

B. you could simply use the 80 as backup and back up key files (save games, photos, documents, video, etc...) every month or so...just in case.

i have an 80 ide and a 250 sata... i just partitioned the SATA and use the 80 as a storage still hooked up.

Problem though, if you ever ever get an error when booting saying: Grub Loading 17 or something like that... reconfig your boot order, happened to me a few times and NO ONE knew what to do seeing as its a linux error. basically its trying to boot off the 80gig.

anyways, hope everything works for ya.