Linked RAM

dragonfly

Ok, so I ran my system at 2.7 ghz with Ram unlinked, then ram linked at 3:2 ratio (ddr2-800). I then ran my cpu at 3.0 ghz with ram unlinked, running at 800mhz again, and I would like to know the difference in performance for having ram linked/unlinked. I am curious, can someone edumacate me?

from what I recall, and don't quote me on this, I'm pretty sure hearing that a 1:1 ratio was ideal. My guess would be that this would prevent a "bottleneck" since everything is running at the same MHz. But again I don't think I really know what I'm talking about.

I'm with you boilersax. I dont really know what I'm talking about either, but that is what I figured. You're probably right. I would imagine that at 1:1 you would get a very 'smooth' performance since the ram would be working right alongside the processor.

We're geniusses!

with athlon xp systems it was VERY important to have ram and cpu running at the same fsb or 1:1. with a64 and core2duo it matters not.

say you had ddr2 800 ram. it runs at 400mhz. your cpu fsb would have to be 400mhz in order to be running 1:1.

anyway, basically the faster your cpu and your ram are running the better the performance. there is no performance advantage from running 1:1 that i've heard of with these new cpus.