Silence is bliss

akaM2

I want a silent PC, right now mine seems alot louder than my old dell even.

If silence means water cooling (im down for it)

Ive been looking at this site alot lately

http://www.svc.com

It has some sound mat kits, would that help that much? My case is all aluminum

It is this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811112118

Would it be better to replace the case fans with better ones?

My CPU temps hover around 31-32c and then 38-39 on full load, should i sacrifice the temps for silence?

Also what is a good way to silence the hard drives, seems like that might be the biggest culprit.

If you wanted the most silent pc, what would you do?

Water?

Sound Mats?

Hard Drive Rubber Mounts?

Replace the fans?

All the above?

How are your drives mounted? Are you using the side holes to screw them directly into something metal or are you using the bottom holes and rubber grommets <spelling>?

Fans tend to be a good source of noise too, especially when the bearings begin to go. i had a very loud system and it was the fan on the video card making a ton of noise. Replaced and silence. If the fans in your system aren't silent, yes, replace them. If your power supply fan is noisy, I suggest an Antec power supply. They tend to be very quiet. If it's your CPU fan, then switch that out.

I'm assuming SATA drives and not SCSI. If you have SCSI, they're always loud. :)

-dj

I would recommend sound proofing the entire inside of the case with sound deadening material. Find some nice silent fans. Also putting your computer under the desk (if it's not already) makes a huge difference. Watercooling is probably the most effective, but I personally can't justify the cost and risk.

Rubber gromets for you hard drives will silence any vibration they create. I have them on my 4 HD's, never hear a peep.

-Edit-

With water cooling fans are still involved. You will end up with less fans which will make it a bit quieter, but the radiator will still have a fan( or two) attached to it.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

the only time you should be able to hear your hard drives is when they're writing data. for me that's a good sound and with raptor drives it's not all that irritating. the biggest issue with case noise in that case is gonna be air movement. slowing the fans down or removing them altogether would eliminate noise but not maintain the same level of cooling. you could water cool the cpu but your vid card is probably much louder than your big typhoon anyway.

to be honest the best way to silence your pc would be to change your case. there are some very expensive silverstone cases (200-300 bucks) that have a lot of noise dampening materials in them.

personally, i think you're a picky bastard. if your system "hums" then there's not a lot you can do about it. if there's a annoying whine or rattle then you likely have a problem. my system just hums nicely.

When I put those rubber grommet (isn't grommet the dog from Fraggle rock? edit: haha...or Wallace and Grommit...haha...it's early) things on my HDs for the first time I was blown away! No more sounds!

As for the sound dampeners...they will take some of the sound away but probably won't be that effective as well they will double as insulation which will turn up the temperature inside your case.

I'm going to have to side with cujo on this one...it's like when you buy a North American made car, you have to get the best stereo possible so you can crank up the volume to drown out the sounds of all the rattles.