Speed up Windows XP

ZesteR

For starters, I am always looking for information on the GC forums, so here is me trying to give back a little bit.

Hey guys, I just finished reading an article in PC Magazine's March 2007 issue.

(subtitle props from the magazine)

If you take a look at the time I posted this.. you can see I'm back from the future.

I again thank GC for the chance to win the free subscription from FF06 :)

Have a slow computer and want it to feel young again?

Do you turn on your computer, take a shower, and then check your email?

Are you just curious about what is going on in the background of your computer and what to have a little more control over it?

Well, with just 3 easy payments of 19.99 (Euro, I heard it's more than the dollar, lol) to my PayPal account, I can tell you how to rid yourself of the first 2 questions and enjoy your computer.

Okay... you might have heard of them before, if not, then here ya go:

Process Explorer

This one is pretty cool. It displays applications, network services, and DLL files. This utility can help you kill any unwanted processes that bog your PC down. It has other little things that Task Manager includes. i. e. CPU Usuage.

Download the .zip file and run it.

-note:

make sure not to create multiple instances of the program... you'll be defeating the purpose of it, lol.

Also, do not delete a process you do not know what it is doing. Google the name and learn up on it before ridding your PC of it.

Startup CPL 2.8

I have heard plenty good from this one, but have yet to use it on my PC. The website link I gave you sends you to sreenshots, just click the name in order to download the program.

The two sites offer other applications and utilities that might tickle your fancy. Hope this thread becomes useful to anyone.

Sounds like sarcasm, though I'll take the paypal dime.

BootVis, if you can find it, is also very much recommended. A Microsoft util (though they pulled it fairly quickly) that tracks your boot up then rearranges drives, etc. so you come up rather fast. From pushing the power button to a fully booted machine is about 20 seconds tops for my old P4 agp sys.

If you can't find it I can mirror it here

-Fk