PC troubles

dragonfly

Last night I loaded up ST KoToR and played for 1/2 hour. Everything was great.

This morning I went to start up my pc and it said no boot drive... strange...

So i restarted, went into bios, things were changed. Strange... but ok, I can deal with that. Reloaded defaults, went to change cpu:ram to unlinked so I could OC a little and froze.

Reset cmos

Starts up, everything fine in bios. Ok, start widows, get into windows a little bit, and RIGHT as the last things are being loaded (i'm in and have about 5 seconds to click) freezes. Try again, same thing. Try again, same. Restart, try to boot from last known working config, freezes.

Restart, madly hitting f10/f8/f6 caues i cant remember which one lets me go to boot options for windows, and it just ignores me. Boots to windows and freezes.

These are the first problems I've had, and I have homework to on that drive...

HELP?

oh yeah one more thing - when i first booted it did a memory check (which i thought was odd caues i had it disabled). After that everything went wonkey. Passed the test though :)

-WD sata2 250 gig

-eVGA 680i motherboard

-2gigs ddr2-800 (OCZ) Gold XTC

-7900gtx

-x-fi plantinum (i unplugged this just incase this was the problem, no go)

Update - I was able to get into windows finally in safe mode and I restored to tuesday. Seems to be working fine so far. I am starting to think that it was a custom rule I added to OC my gfx card every time I started windows, since it froze as soon as something was loading every time. It doesnt really explain the other strange stuff, but meh, as long as it works it works I guess.

Thanks for the help! Oh, you're welcome. :)

If I had a game on twl I'd just use my roommates computer anyway :)

Well first of all if you have a good enough PC to play the games and programs avoid OCing. My car can go 140+mph but the speed limit is there for a good reason. Plus a lot of the OC people are full of bad advice or system specific knowledge and will give you bad info. Not saying that OCing can't have it's place but be careful and always back off the max stable by a slight margin. Also make sure you are cooling your stuff properly whether or not you are OCing, it's the most common cause of major PC component failures.

Edited by Preacher

I have definitely kept an eye on the temps through the whole time :) gfx under load for 3+ hours never broke 68, cpu never breaks 38, board never breaks 42. I think those are cool...

I was just doing it cause it's reading week at my uni and I needed breaks from programming and studying. Besides, I thought speed limits were for all those OTHER bad drivers on the roads not me ... :D Thx preacher.

Edited by DarkArchon

quite certain the problem was not caused by ocing. odd that restore fixed the problem cause any windows settings would have no effect on bios stability. i would be leery of hard drive corruption. do you have the latest bios? there were a lot of initial problems with hard drive corruption with that board.

Edited by Cujo

I've just been using what came shipped with it... I think it's the p24. Didnt really see a reason to switch to p25, but I guess maybe I have one now.

Oh yeah, and WD's 250gig sata2 on sale at ncix for $83 incase anyone wants one. I may as well grab one.

Edit: that's CAD.

Edited by DarkArchon