The Buzzword IRC

Fatty

So is there some chance to win something by hitting a certain amount of traffic in your irc channel? I'm seeing it spammed everywhere! Peoples names, people's binds, signatures, server names!?!? :lol: , aim away messages.....idle here idle there...at the end of scrims...idle!

Now, I understand IRC, and I understand it's usefullness, but what's the point if you're idling in 50 places? Do people make friends there?

Anyways, if there's some secret, share it with me so I can start the spam, cause WE GOT ONE TOO!!! NAH! (although i can't remember what it is...i think it's on slims' sig though)

I've used IRC for over 10 years. It was the chatroom of the early nineties, long before the days of AOL chatrooms and *gasp* Instant Messaging. It's just another form of AIM that has a permanent, non-invitation room that anyone can join which is GREAT for finding scrims and setting up matches.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

just liken it to you promoting Mmmm servers....why do you do it? To attract new people and make friends.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

According to Rick of Greek Society- 'People judge how good a clan is by the number of people idling in their IRC room'. I guess its a CAL thing.. teams want to idle in the rooms of good clans as a way of goodness by association, and clans want more people to create the sense of goodness, whether or not they're actually good... but really, there's no point in idling in 60,000,000,000,000 IRC rooms when I hardly pay attention to the two I'm in the clans of....

GC Founder
just liken it to you promoting Mmmm servers....why do you do it?  To attract new people and make friends.

No, that's not really a good analogy. If we promote the server it's because we want people to shoot at. We want to utilize what we're paying for, building, playing on.

Perhaps the only analogy that really can be drawn from your comparison is:

join irc, i need a target for my words.

join server, i need a target for my bullets.

Maybe we're getting somewhere, though. It could all come down to the audience. Then again, people that idle in tropolis get kicked.

PS. Lol at st standing on the side there making a noise like moss just burned me or something. Get in the discussion or get out, don't just stand there and drool! This isn't a high-school hallway burn contest, it's a discussion.

Edit: Remember, I'm not seated one way or the other on this entire topic, I just want to completely understand the point of it all, beyond the accepted matches, scrims, etc. Perfect for that. Talk more to the point of the desire to have as many people idle in your irc channel as possible. If I could somehow get the whole thing, this very well could be integrated into my double top-secret plan for world domination, I just need to have the angle. :rolleyes:

GC Founder
According to Rick of Greek Society- 'People judge how good a clan is by the number of people idling in their IRC room'.  I guess its a CAL thing.. teams want to idle in the rooms of good clans as a way of goodness by association, and clans want more people to create the sense of goodness, whether or not they're actually good... but really, there's no point in idling in 60,000,000,000,000 IRC rooms when I hardly pay attention to the two I'm in the clans of....

He's closer though.

Guest Ex-Archaic nonMCC number owning
Guests

I idle for clans that idle for me... its to show support and respect for the clan. specially a clan that pwns you.

GC Founder

Ok great. Showing support. Tell me how that supports them or you.

I'm being sincere here! I want to know.

Ok, if we go back to the server issue, I'll take moss's side a bit here now.

If you support our server and play there, it makes more people want to play there because it's popular. Every person helps. People like to join servers with people.

Now, I can see that if I came into an irc channel that was hoppin, it might be more attractive to stay in and chat. Just like a server with more people in it is fun.

What I don't get is what Uber eluded to (uberluded) above...idling. It's like an afk person in the server....ok so he might be useful if you have 2 people in there so others might join, but who needs a bunch?

Tell me this, you people that idle: Do you guys scroll up and read anything that you miss? Does IRC keep an infinite history, or is the ultimate reason to idle to just be a body? Now, I can see if you use it like an instant messenger, when you use private messages (do your windows blink?), but if you use it for private messages, then it's way overkill, no?

Ok, idlers. You that idle in the team that just waxed you and said: idle in #pwndyoubro. So you go there and sit. What now?

Guests

Yes your pms blink and make noises, and yes some channels are dull that have like 8 people that just idle and dont talk... but yes i do like to scroll up and see what people say. And for the idle #blah cause we just pwned you in scrim, i never idle them! ;):lol:

#team.st7

Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guest The Hurricane
Guests
Ok, idlers.  You that idle in the team that just waxed you and said: idle in #pwndyoubro.  So you go there and sit.  What now?

At one time I had 22 different channels in my perform.

perform = joins the channels you put in it automatically everytime you start up IRC.

Why?

Because it was a clan that I scrimmed with that'd I'd like to scrim again sometime.

or

It was a clan that I really liked and made some new friends with them and wanted to support them and see how they did in CAL that particular season.

or

It was a clan that had 4-5 idles in my clan's channel and I wanted to repay the favor and idle in their channel.

Tell me this, you people that idle: Do you guys scroll up and read anything that you miss?
sometimes when I'm bored I will.

What I don't get is what Uber eluded to (uberluded) above...idling. It's like an afk person in the server....ok so he might be useful if you have 2 people in there so others might join, but who needs a bunch?

Having a bunch of idlers in your clan's IRC channel is a lot like having a full active public server. Sure they're AFK most of the time, but newer people who join your channel and the different clans that scrim you will join your channel and see that you have a lot of support for your clan and that you are the real deal.

I know I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it, but it's just something that you'll get after your frist CAL season and after you constantly use IRC day after day.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

k...I wasn't trying to burn you, read into it however you want.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

It's a simple way to get a hold of people and find people, especially people you don't know. F'rinstance, need a ringer or a scrim? Can you search on AIM or GameSpy... or something else... for such things? Not that I'm aware of :( IRC? Try #findringer or #findscrim - you'll find whatever you need.

Why idle? You just scrimmed with a clan and you really enjoyed playing with them. They were the kind of people you enjoy playing CS with and they gave you their IRC channel. Pop the channel into your auto perform and now you can contact them anytime you might want to play CS with them - maybe you need a ringer, or maybe they need a ringer. Or maybe you want to scrim them your clan vs their clan. You can get a hold of them. Say, you didn't idle their channel... how do you get ahold of them? Try picking names you remember and doing /msg soandso ? Their name could be one of a million names... good luck picking the right one if they are even on in the first place.

How does idling show support? You join a channel with 5 people in it, all members of the clan. Whoopdie-doo, I bet there's lots of talk going on in there since they'll have their own private IRC channel for clan talk. Join a channel with 5 clan members and 10 'idlers' who may or may not be talking - that could spark interest in you to stay. Is it any trouble for the idlers to idle? No more trouble than adding /join #channel into their autoperform. Does it increase chances to meet new/good people/players? Certainly. Need more explanation? Just say so, I'm sure I can ramble on some more late at night...

• 4 weeks later...

I use IRC a lot and am one of those "idlers". I don't idle in a lot, just the different clans from my old server, mostly because it is a quick way to get a hold of them if I need to for different things (info about a LAN, scrimming, just chatting, etc).

I am not big on having others "idle" in our channel cuz we mostly just use it for pre- and post-scrim/match/practice run-throughs.