So Umm.... Beer ?

ZeroDamage

Guiness is great, and I recommend it to anyone not used to drinking beer. That said I mostly drink lagers, and russian imperial stout, depending on my mood. The imperial stout is very flavorful and thick with lower than normal carbonation. But beware if drinking them on a night out, as they pack more than your average alcohol content. I tend to stick with the local brew's from Cleveland such as the great lakes brewing company. Find a nice local brew near your hometown and grab a sampler pack.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I have not tried any yet. I was seriously under the weather yesterday and did not want to ruin the experience. Anyway, there are quite a few imports to choose from around here.

My question is this: What Guinness should I go for? There is... (I am trying to recall since I was feeling quite sick when I stopped yesterday)... Extra Stout and Draught. Those were my two options... so which should a noobie be trying first. I have to buy a 6-pack, there is no mixing and matching and at 9 bucks a pop, I have to go with the best odds with this. Oh yeah, and the Draught came in a can as well; I assume bottle is preferred?

They have Magic Hat but Guinness is what I will try first.

Oh yeah, any recommendations on Sam Adams type I should try out? I am a little in the dark on beers where mixed drinks and the like I know fairly well (I was in the Navy after all).

Oh yeah, anyone live nearby wonna come by and share in a six pack? Even if I like it, I do not see myself drinking it all gone this weekend.

wait don't knock corona and lime! :wiggle2:

I don't think you should try Guinness first if you don't enjoy really beer in the first place >_< it's a much stronger taste then regular beer... imo it tastes stronger/bolder/<insert better word here> then Red Stripe or Heineken compared to bud or corona.

I plan to start at the top and then work my way down. I may have had it before when I was in the Navy but I honestly do not remember. It was like 10 years ago. I am getting old and my tastes have changed in regards to food and what not. Why not beer?

I plan to start at the top and then work my way down. I may have had it before when I was in the Navy but I honestly do not remember. It was like 10 years ago. I am getting old and my tastes have changed in regards to food and what not. Why not beer?

growing a beer belly? :D

Ok. I have not tried any yet. I was seriously under the weather yesterday and did not want to ruin the experience. Anyway, there are quite a few imports to choose from around here.

My question is this: What Guinness should I go for? There is... (I am trying to recall since I was feeling quite sick when I stopped yesterday)... Extra Stout and Draught. Those were my two options... so which should a noobie be trying first. I have to buy a 6-pack, there is no mixing and matching and at 9 bucks a pop, I have to go with the best odds with this. Oh yeah, and the Draught came in a can as well; I assume bottle is preferred?

They have Magic Hat but Guinness is what I will try first.

Oh yeah, any recommendations on Sam Adams type I should try out? I am a little in the dark on beers where mixed drinks and the like I know fairly well (I was in the Navy after all).

Oh yeah, anyone live nearby wonna come by and share in a six pack? Even if I like it, I do not see myself drinking it all gone this weekend.

IMO you should put the Guiness off a bit (and probably go for the draught); stout is about as dark as it gets and going straight from pilseners to stouts it'll probably take several bottles for you to figure out if you actually like it. Maybe it's not how it is down there, but up here you can get a lot of beers as singles in 12oz or Imperial pints if you look around, especially darker ones (which people are more likely to want for chili/stew/bread/etc.). Magic Hat might be a good place to start because they make mostly pale ales and lagers, then try out a brown ale like Newcastle and try a stout like Guiness after that. Really what you want to look for is which styles you like and which you don't, and figure out later which brands brew which styles best. Sam Adams is going to be a pretty safe bet in any style (it might not be the best out there but it surely won't be a dud). People talk bad about it but I think it's just not esoteric enough for them (they might have non-conformity issues). If you think about trying IPA, Dogfish Head might be a good choice (since nobody else mentioned it that I noticed). You might notice that a lot of specific beers people mentioned are IPAs, especially in the thread Dude started.

pale:

pale ale

pilsener/pale lager

wheat ale/weißbier (hefeweizen, etc.)

india pale ale (IPA)

medium:

amber ale e.g. Sam Adams Boston Ale

brown ale (brown ale is the perfect beer for chili IMO)

dark:

porter (ale)

stout (ale) e.g. Guiness

black lager/schwarzbier

bock (lager)

If you're going to try guinness, start with the draught, not the extra stout. You would probably have to floss after drinking the extra stout.

If you want to try Sam Adams, then I'd stay start with the Boston Lager, it's a good all-arounder and the other various flavors can be branched out from there.

Yeah Sam Adams is fairly "main stream", but its taste is quite different (and better) from the other mainstream american beer.