Opera

Playaa

So...I'd always heard of Opera but I've been a Firefox fan for like 2 years or more...loves me some Firefox.

Recently however, I've noticed that throughout the day my Firefox hogs more and more ram no matter how many tabs I have open (or how few) and by the end of the day it is up to almost 300mb of ram on my pc being used just by Firefox. (I only have 3 Add-Ons installed) While I was trying to figure this out I read some threads with people talking about Opera (specifically the Digg story about how Opera users are the most satisfied with their browser) and I figured I'd check it out.

gotta say...I'm loving it so far.

For one thing it starts up faster than any browser I've ever used. It runs incredibly smoothly and looks just as good as Firefox.

It's got a few features Firefox doesn't (when you open a new tab it has a "speed dial", a bunch of thumbnails of pages you visit often. Click one and you're there), it is missing features that Firefox had (it doesn't have as many add-ons, but most of the ones I used for Firefox it does have like Gestures).

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. I've only been using it for a day now but I haven't seen anything I don't like.

My issues with Opera are as follows:

1. I live and die when browsing with the use of my "NoScript" addon. It prevents all scripts from running without explecit permission.

2. I click the control-enter to automatically do .com addresses, shift-enter for .net and both control+shift for .org addresses. So when I type in gcftw, all I have to do is hold down control and press enter. Opera does not do that.

I notice that minefield (64 bit ed of firefox) used 71mb of RAM idling with 7 tabs open and opera used 61mb with the same number. I also noticed that opera rocks and rolls them pages open at like 4x the speed of minefield,IE 64bit and like 10x firefox and ie 32bit. Also my online banking works with opera and not with firefox based progs lol go figure.

I switched to opera today too :)

I'd do it too except that you have to pay for the no-add version : (

you're crazy.

I think Opera did that like...3 years ago.

there are no ads whatsoever (and I can't even find a place to pay for it cause I think I would)

You still have to pay for Opera on, say, mobile devices, but it is like $5 and you get a 30 day trial -- No ads.

I agree, Firefox is overrated. I like it, but man it can be a memory hog. Back in 1.0.3ish (iirc) it had one heck of a memory leak, to the tune of 700 MB for four or five tabs over three hours (!) That got fixed quickly, but it can still get unwieldy.