memory

Guys,

I bought my stuff and MOST is well.

the MB (asus p5n-e sli) rates memory voltages from 1.9-2.?

the memory I bought is rated for 1.8

Everthing except about 2 installs went good. Hexagon 2 (3d modeler) stalled half way installing and would not install correctly until I did a system restore and it went. Then Carrara 5 (3d rednerer, modeler, animator) did the same. I went through about 4 system restored till finally they both installed correctly now everything is running fine.

Now I did read that hex2 is not dual proc freindly. So perhaps this had something to do with it?

My question is this...

should I return the 1.8v ddr2 dual channel and get 1.9 or higher since all the bios settings start at 1.9 on up?

Or stick with is cause it's not the problem but rather the software confllicts with core2duo e6600?

I'm not sure,

my gut says the 1.8 is working fine but my logic is saying it may be the problem?

Aug

i wouldn't worry about the memory voltage at all. your ram will be fine at 1.9v and should not make it unstable at all. it's also definitely not that kind of problem with your cpu.

what operating system are you using?

have you gone into the bios to check what your voltage setting is? auto is likely 1.8v.

have you set the rest of your bios up correctly?

are your ram timings correct?

all rated voltages are set a bit low for optimal settings anyway so 1.9 is such a small change that it should not effect it. I know people who have jacked up thier voltages a ton and the sticks have lasted years OCed (corsair value select RAM)

Yeah what OS are you running, if it's vista I would contend that it was prolly the cause, but it may be the need to just get all your updates done first. I had some similar issues with XP x64 until I applied all the windows updates and drivers to the newest versions. You may also want to make sure you have the newest Bios if you are running Vista, as most of the newer updates are updating to make room for vista improvements and changes.

guys,

ive got a 3 partition boot drive.

1) xp 64 70 gb primary

2) xp 32 home 50 gb primary

3) xp 32 home (fat 32) with drive image7 and partition magic and boot magic which creates back images of 1 and 2

one problem I GET ALL THE TIME is that gigastudio has encoutered an error...would you like to disable all drivers associated with giga studio.

However, with that said, I tried installing hex 2 on parittion 3 which has no gigastudio install and hex 2 did not install correctly.

I don't know why it does sometimes and why it does not...

my only thought is perhaps the ram is messing something up?

Gigastudio is a KNOWN CRAPPER on it's stability. GREAT PROGRAM but finikey!

now I've got ZD saying get the rated ram and 2 people saying don't bother....

ZD can you make a case why. I really want to resolve my issues.

Auggy

sarge,

man it's been a long time since I've seen you in source (I havent played CS in like a year)

but I did that this morning so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

I have a 30 day return at mwave so I'll wait till like 20 days,

if it does not resolve, then I'm running with ZD's advice.

Aug

guys,

I looked at what I bought and it says it's 1.9v which explains why 90% of my software runs smooth as silk and the system has no lockups or shutdowns...

HOWEVER I want your wisdom on this...

On the mfg website it says

Tested at JEDEC-standard latency

settings (4-4-4-12) at 1.9V

SPD programmed at JEDEC standard

5-5-5-15 values

so should I set my timing to 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15?

I have it set to 4-4-4-12 right now.

I think I'll keep this memory since it is 1.9v which is supported by my MB. I looked at (I think) the same memory on newegg which showed it as being 1.8v which made me think it was not totally compatible. But I'm now convinced it is.

I think my software issues are more about the e6600. Kind of like running win98 on a p4 3.2 northwood HT which make 98 crash in about 2 months and the longer you use it the more blue screens.

I've purchased gigastudio 3 hoping it will be more comptaible with the newer chips.

Guess I'll find out.

Sincerely,

Aug

I would definitely pursue this, since you have a limited time to exchange the RAM, but you might consider the software to be simply unfriendly. I take it the processor is a 64-bit dual core, based on my brief skimming of what I considered to be a few key points of your comments. That being the case, we had some 3-D model building software that did not play nice with our 64-bit dual-proc workstation, no matter what we did. It was a known issue that they deferred to the next version number. You might just be stuck on that point until they update it.