Some new ATI Benchmarks for the new R600 cards

ZeroDamage

The performance of the 2900xt will be the same as the 8800gtx superclocked? I would guess it's going to be less, they paired it up with the 8800gts, not the gtx let alone superclocked. I think the xtx will kick some buttocks though. :)

It seems like those numbers are kinda lower than what I was expecting actually...

Edited by DarkArchon

When doing video benchmarks like that, you want the fastest processor possible. This prevents the CPU from being a bottleneck and making the results lower than what they can really do. In this case, we are talking about max/peak performance. For a realistic benchmark, something a little more mainstream can be used and there are benchmarks that do that as well.

someone who would buy that card would probably also buy that cpu or at the very least a dual core version of it. they really should have used a x6800 extreme as no games take advantage of the extra two cores yet anyway.

wait for some more reputable and in-depth benchmarks before reading too much into those numbers.

that it does. let me re-phrase. 1 game supports quad-core but it really isn't worth the premium. until 4 core is less than double the price of 2 it's just not worth it. i didn't go amd dual core until the price was less than two single core cpus.

I think quad core pounced on developers when they weren't looking. They were/are busy making games that use dual core then these quad cores come and their games are already almost done by now or too late in the development process too change anything. With quad cores on the rise I think developers are leaning more to developing multi core programs that will scale depending on how many cores the computer has instead of developing for a specific amount of cores.

I only hope that they really start making games that support multi cores before AMD and Intel go on core making sprees by making processors with 6, 8, or more cores before a reasonable amount of programs can even support them.

But on topic of the new Radeon cards, the only thing that bugs me besides them probably not going too be faster than the higher level 8800s is the name. When I think of really low numbers like 2900 and it's a video card, the first thing that comes too mind is some on board video card or some cheapo PCI card. But I guess they had too restart come time. I didn't want too see more Xs in front of number.

Benchmark #2

I know, it probably means nothing...

That site has shown me to be garbage. They are doing something wrong to have a card that is faster with memory and core and it runs slower than the same exact card but at slower speeds. They then tell us the card is doomed when their review is obviously flawed from top to bottom without telling us what settings they are using and without running the system after a higher resolution. They are also comparing the card to an overclocked Nvidia card. That site has shown me to be junk.

With that said, Nvidia's card may be faster but I want REAL reviews to come out before I make a decision on what to buy next month. I may end up with an Nvidia card.

• 2 weeks later...