Flitterkill's *actual* Temporary Reign o' Terror

I recall one map that was a lot of fun, but I can't remember the name of it. I think it was on Nep at one time or another. It had chain linked fences and a bridge in the middle, and quite a few nodes (iirc). Anyone remember which one that was?

GC Board Member

Handfull of maps going up, need to find Sandcrack though (not hard)

Our redirect server is a touch on the full side (blame CS:S) so we'll see what I can actually fit.

Voting up tonight hopefully - not UT2Vote - just standard.

U - Spiffengrad is going up, but I don't think that was it - there was Conclave Canyon...uh... Stone Hills (though that one had some node teleport probs)

Hmm - bridge in the middle - UP-Camo perhaps?

-Fk

GC Board Member

Reign o' Terror now in effect.

ESC key to bring up the menu - voting button on the lower right

Mid-game votes are allowed

Your score gets you your votes (or frags - whatever - one of the two)

If you do NOT vote in a given voting round, your vote score carries over to the next vote - so you can not vote and bank up some voting dime as it were.

GC Members: If your score gives you great power - try to wield it wisely pls - if the general pub consensus wants a particular map, try to weigh your vote towards the result that will keep people on the server rather than clear it out.

Maps available include something for everyone I think:

Torlan

Sev.

Dria

Xfire

Nevermore-LE

AS

Red Planet

Alien2

ChainIsile2

FBU-Scorched

Maelstrom

NecropolisFull

Primeval-LE

Spiffingrad-T32

UP-Camo

UP-SandCrack

Urban-LE

VolcanoHighV2

Tropic-32P

More adds are possible of course - just say what you want and provided frames aren't too sucky, in the mix it goes.

-Fk

EDIT: Some tweaks to be made - Necorpolis will get yanked (I remember that one now - like crossfire only billion times larger in size), end game time and vote time need to get synced, etc. Will get done ASAP

Handfull of maps going up, need to find Sandcrack though (not hard)

Our redirect server is a touch on the full side (blame CS:S) so we'll see what I can actually fit.

Voting up tonight hopefully - not UT2Vote - just standard.

U - Spiffengrad is going up, but I don't think that was it - there was Conclave Canyon...uh... Stone Hills (though that one had some node teleport probs)

Hmm - bridge in the middle - UP-Camo perhaps?

-Fk

I can't remember the name either. I asked you to put it up some time back when you were asking for suggestions. At the time you found it but you said there were some lighting problems or something and you didn't want to put it up. The center node was located in the center of a bridge protected on each side by a high chain link fence so you could attack it only from the ends. I tried looking under old topics but couldn't find anything.

GC Board Member

That would be Stone Hills - keep in mind the node teleport probs to some of the nodes (meaning if you try to teleport to them you end up at your base instead)

Up in a bit

-Fk

EDIT: You'll be a happy camper hopefully. The teleport problem and the vehicle shading being off were two of the key problems before - although the map never got out of beta and was abandoned, the version I just tracked down (had the map but thought what the hell...) *may* have those probs solved. The vehicles looked fine and the node transports were fine as well. This was in an instant action game - no guarantees on server play - or if other packages are needed.

That would be Stone Hills - keep in mind the node teleport probs to some of the nodes (meaning if you try to teleport to them you end up at your base instead)

Up in a bit

-Fk

EDIT: You'll be a happy camper hopefully. The teleport problem and the vehicle shading being off were two of the key problems before - although the map never got out of beta and was abandoned, the version I just tracked down (had the map but thought what the hell...) *may* have those probs solved. The vehicles looked fine and the node transports were fine as well. This was in an instant action game - no guarantees on server play - or if other packages are needed.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

Up in a bit

-Fk

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

I didn't notice any bugs but this version is set up a bit different with 2 side nodes from each side being connected to the key wide open center node like you see Arctic Stronghold configured some times which usually turns into super marathons. I don't remember a Levi on this map before either. It's a nice change to fool with for a while but I don't see this one as a long term keeper.

Thanks for the Reign O' Terror!

I think the standard voting worked pretty well last night (for my short visit anyway).

Even saw some folks around that haven't visited in a while, like *gasp* Penty!

Could you let us know if map voting is influencing the usage stats?

Thanks for the work!

GC Board Member
Thanks for the Reign O' Terror!

I think the standard voting worked pretty well last night (for my short visit anyway).

Even saw some folks around that haven't visited in a while, like *gasp* Penty!

Could you let us know if map voting is influencing the usage stats?

Thanks for the work!

The reason we have run with a rotation forever is the past attempts at map voting never quite worked out - too much complaining and leaving when a map came up that someone didn't like, etc., etc. That was with both std. voting (like now) and UT2Vote.

But - it has been quite a while (1.5 to 2 years) since those voting tries - perhaps the community (ours and elsewhere) has changed enough to let this fly here now. We'll see.

I'll provide the map vote stats next week - let's see this ride out for a bit first.

As for links to maps - most of the stuff I put on I already had locally.

The usual candidates (not hard to search):

www.mapraider.com

www.unrealplayground.com

An unusual candidate:

http://uz2.gameservers.net/ut2004/?C=N;O=D

That link above will take a substantial amount of time to load - it is the http-accessible uz2 compressed file directory of gameservers.net's redirect server.

Browse to the files starting with ONS and then download away.

You will need to put the file in your ut2004/system directory, open a command prompt window and manually decompress the file with

ucc decompress name-of-file.uz2 (that or uncompress - I forgets which one atm)

Then just take the now uncompressed ut2 map file and stick it in maps.

You'll find an awful lot of stuff that never really made it into the main map distribution channels there - clan specific modified maps, betas from god knows where, etc. If you see something interesting, nab it, try it, and if it doesn't suck let me know and I can throw it in the mix.

-Fk

(edited)

there's another map i like but I don't know the name of it... its the one on the beach where the double damage is up on top of a mountain in the middle of the map

is that tropic?

Edited by Wentz

GC Board Member

Yep - thats tropic - should be in the mix already (either the std. daytime 32p or the nighttime 32p)

Another note if you pull a compressed map from that redirect site - if you get one, stick in in your directory, and nothing shows up in the map list when you load the game, then you are missing packages (textures, etc.) - now you actually have to search for the real released version of the map (which would have all those files)

Another site for maps, this one with a Euro vibe

http://www.utzone.de/

-Fk

GC Board Member

Medieval is fun but...seems unless you come heavy to the party your FPS will be on the low side.

Dingy and I are not too good - let me know if the rest of you are low so I can pull this one.

Side note - south center edge of map is a castle, there is a dragon sword there - your character will actually hold a sword when you have the weapon up - it is an ion painter but one a little on the weak side (won't cap a node by itself) - it does bypass the no supers mut but seeing as it is weak - no biggie

-Fk

(edited)

Flitter,

Thanks for all the work. Like the vote option. Seems to be more people playing which is good. Like the save your vote option to later games. If voting share accrue to level of play I will need about 4 games at my level to match a vet GC player. Found all maps. Thanks for writing xfire. Spent 10 minutes before dawned on me you meant crossfire. :bang: Only need to find primeval-le and fbu-scorched. Unreal playground does not have it so will need to look elsewhere.

Are you familiar with CPB-Argento. No mantas or raptors but good infantry tank map.

Edited by MaDPaT

GC Board Member

Scorched has been on forever - you should have it by now - if not just let the redirect dl for you (unless you want to *have* have it)

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=9012

It's part of the FBU pack - there are other nice ONS maps in there but killer on frames and very large (think Red Planet big and bigger)

If you really want Primeval-LE, just pull it out of our redirect and uncompress it

http://ih.gamerscoalition.com/ut/compresse...eval-LE.ut2.uz2

-Fk

GC Members: If your score gives you great power - try to wield it wisely pls - if the general pub consensus wants a particular map, try to weigh your vote towards the result that will keep people on the server rather than clear it out.

I give the

Ditto. I usually don't map vote until there is a majority, if I even vote at all. Seems people leave when a map comes up that they don't like. But you better look out when I spend all my saved points on primeval! (place evil smiley here)

maps, yeah, maps...let's play

neways

There were folks on tonight, and FK and I were trying to get Nep started...and noone that was on SCK would come over...Pat, Dark, Bush, etc...?

I wish I could've stayed on SCK cuz all were there, but I mentioned that we were getting NEP started and noone cared...

ON NEP my ping was atleast reasonable at 50-70...but SCK was 90-110..

dang...Wish I couldn've played...

feeling sorry fer mi' self

um TB Tek, eh?

GC Board Member

MY ping ended up jumpy on Nep as well - I just stopped - half my shots wouldn't register, etc. It happens.

Less SCK more GC would be nice though...

CF - I see what you mean with Stone Hills - maybe (2) has the fence?

-Fk