OXM article - new pics, etc.

Flitterkill

Some tweeks and you can stop player motion without them knowing

In that case you need to start drinking energy drinks - like the squirrel did in Over the Hedge.

remember, you too can be "bonus points". :biglaugha:

Hey Pat, sorry about taht, but the kids arent out at camp yet so we're just getting the camp ready. I made it to dialup again, but it's SLOW. I try to get on once or twice a week, but after this next weekend it may go downhill to once every two weeks. :(

Anyway, bush is right. There's actually an evga OC guide for the 680i chip, that's what I'd google. However...

Coretemp = program you can download to check your temperatures. Dont trust that NTune temp guide, it's off on mine by like 5 degrees.

As for the other stuff I said:

fsb = front side bus - what you use to OC. Our board runs with quarter time on the fsb, so right now my fsb is set to like... 1511 or something. 1511/4=377.78 (divide by 4 since it's qdr) ::: Since I'm running with 9 as the multiplier for my cpu (so are you) then 377x9=3400.02 or 3.4ghz. If you wanted 3.0 ghz, then just set your fsb to 1333 (since 1333/4=333, and 333*9=3000 or 3.0ghz).

It's a little bit confusing, but you can do it. If you want it just to 2.8ghz, then set your fsb to 1244 (1244/4=311, and 311*9=2800 or 2.8ghz).

As far as ram goes, i said unlink it because the ram tries to run in 1:1 timings, and does if you dont OC at all. But when you OC, then the ram tries to run that much faster too... if you select "unlink" in the same area you change your fsb, then you dont have to worry about that. My cpu is running at 3400, which means my ram runs at 755mhz at 1:1 ratio. A little slower than 800mhz, but I've added 1ghz to my cpu speed.

So to break it down, go get coretemp. Next, install it. Then, restart, go to your bios when you boot up. Change your fsb to a desired rate, and select the cpu/ram ratio to be "unlinked" or whatever it's called. Then restart with settings changed (you can save a profile of voltages and speeds in your bios if you want). Then boot up to windows, open coretemp and monitor temps to make sure they're not too high. Presto!

Remember, your manual tells you about your bios too, and what the things do. Have fun!

OH, and and what Dark said, BUT

You need to overclock in LITTLE STEPS...don't blast from 2.4 - 3.0 all at once. That is bad. Try bumping your FSB like 33mhz at a time (or I don't know what the smallest increment is for core 2 duo...)...Then play for an hour or so. You need to benchmark after each overclock, so use a program like 3DMark06 to record framerates and CPU performance. Always test!

The only point in overclocking is to get better framerates with hefty games. If you don't really have hefty games (Oblivion and Supreme Commander come to mind), I wouldn't bother overclocking.

Seriously, post up in the hardware forum too, because the guys there usually are really good at giving tips or sites with tips.

Oh yeah - and once you do that, you need a faster and more reliable internet connection.

Well, maybe faster, since it looks like Tek is back online! :smillie_smilling:

(sorry Tek, couldn't resist!)

Thanks Dark and Tek. I will do it in installments. Do not what to end up with a puddle of cpu material. What you all mentioned corresponds to info I have been gathering. I do not have a HSF as good as yours dark. Will not go as high as you on overclocking. Will get software to register heat and benchmarks as you stated. Thanks again for memory info, Dark. My research hasn't covered oc steps necessary with memory modules. I am currently dissectiong a IGN article cause it covers 680i mobo with standard eom hsf.

Good luck with your summer, dialup must be hell.