Super Paper Mario

YoMamma

This game is probably the 2nd most fun Ive had on the Wii, besides Zelda. Ive been playing it for about the last 2 weeks and I love how you can flip from 2D to 3D. If you have a Wii, check it out.

I'm really bad at playing games

QFT! :biglaugha::hug:

But, you'll get frustrated a bit playing it because you can't really go 2 feet without accidently running into an enemy. Just make sure you bring alot of shrooms with you. The entire game, I didn't use one offensive item (ones that attack enemies). It was pretty much that easy.

I missed the turn-based battles... :(

I missed the turn-based battles... :(

This isn't MarioRPG and I think that Nintendo really confused us when they released Paper Mario for the N64 which wasn't actually Paper Mario but the next MarioRPG. I was all upset about this new PaperMario for the same reasons until I remembered that Nintendo had done that switcharoo...now I'm wondering if they will ever make another MarioRPG or PaperMarioRPG...however they want to call it...I'm confused.

MarioRPG and Paper Mario 64 were 2 really great games (especially since MRPG was a Square game and Paper Mario 64 wasn't yet they were so similar.)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally beat the main chapters of this game yesterday. It took about 23 hours total. The last boss was pretty easy, but Chapter 8-3 was hard since I had to use like half a dozen shrooms to heal. I still have plenty of Cards, Recipes, Maps, and the Pit of 100 Trials to beat if I feel like it...

I finished it the other day, and thought it was pretty well-balanced for a casual gamer. Didn't need much in the way of healing stuff, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...Just because it's there, doesn't mean it should be seen as necessary. I used a lot of my offensive stuff, but just for fun, because as attack power went up (BOWSER!) they really didn't do much. The minigames when you used items, for the most part, were quite enjoyable: A quick reprieve from the standard gameplay. The 3D was a fantastic addition to the game, and the Pixls added entertaining skills (though some were much less useful than others). It also made some parts of the game trivially easy, but that's not necessarily bad -- you always have the choice to do it the "hard-core" way.

However, there certainly were parts of the game I didn't like. In any platform-jumping areas, it was hard to see what you were jumping in to, and the screen really didn't catch up to you until you had pretty much jumped in to whatever you were trying to avoid. Also, there were some really tedious sections. Not only that, but with the ever-present need to "flip" to 3D, Mario was a very unbalanced character. Switching isn't that big a deal, but it does interrupt the flow, so using anyone other than Mario can get tiring in some chapters (8-3 springs to mind -- I stuck with Mario the whole time).

And the story and writing started off miserable. It's like they thought we wanted to watch the game to see how witty they were. Unfortunately, they're not THAT witty and there's no way to skip dialog. However, once the first chapter is done that's largely a non-issue and the cut scenes are a lot less tedious. Except for this Light Prognosticus claptrap. We didn't like what the prophecies said, so we just wrote our own? Really? Do prophecies really work that way? If so, I'm going to write that some guy will walk up and give me a million dollars, no strings attached. I'll call it the Fox Prognosticus.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed it. It was fun, not too challenging and the writing was enjoyable in small doses. I would recommend it to a casual gamer, but warn you that you're going to wade through a lot of dialog, and it will get old. The gameplay is totally worth it, though.

--edit--

I didn't beat that pit of 100 trials, either. Much like in Zelda, I feel those are more in the realm of a more serious gamer. It's not that I had no interest, but I usually don't like to dedicate that much time to one optional thing which I can't walk away from without losing my progress. I did go up to about level 40, handing off between some friends, for kicks. It's fun, but that's too much effort to collect cards in my opinion.

Edited by appalachian_fox

• 2 months later...