Cell phone suggestions

Playaa

Right, need more suggestions.

I am looking for a non-PDA-like cell phone that does 3G and Edge.

I never, ever, ever use my phone for anything but phone calls...but I want a phone that I can use to connect my laptop to the internet (which means 3G where it's available...EDGE everywhere else).

I don't want to pay $400 for a phone that does a ton of things that I don't need...I don't want to browse the web on the phone, I don't want to have a full qwerty keyboard...I just want 3G on a phone like the RAZR (I have the original version and I'm about 100% positive it doesn't do 3G).

go forth and suggest!

Right, need more suggestions.

I am looking for a non-PDA-like cell phone that does 3G and Edge.

I never, ever, ever use my phone for anything but phone calls...but I want a phone that I can use to connect my laptop to the internet (which means 3G where it's available...EDGE everywhere else).

I don't want to pay $400 for a phone that does a ton of things that I don't need...I don't want to browse the web on the phone, I don't want to have a full qwerty keyboard...I just want 3G on a phone like the RAZR (I have the original version and I'm about 100% positive it doesn't do 3G).

go forth and suggest!

Why not just get a wireless broadband card and use skype through your laptop? (although I guess I can see how that wouldn't work perfectly, always having your laptop running to answer phone calls)

technically Edge IS 3G...but slower

and yes I know that St. Louis has plenty of 3G coverage...sadly I literally live 2 miles away from the outer edges of the 3G coverage...

if you put Pacific, MO into that little map you linked, you can see where I live (generally) and see the 3G coverage.

Since you're talkin' like that I'm assuming you have AT&T? If that's the case, check these out:

RAZR v3xx

w300i

Here is a side-by-side comparison between some of their better phones. All of 'em do EDGE, I will look them up later to make sure they tether (phone as modem for your laptop) I stayed away from the most expensive phones on the list.

My experience selling phones told me that Motorola tends to get the best reception...by a lot...out of any other company. Not sure why. The RAZR got the worst (that was a v3m, the v3xx is better), but it still got above average reception. The Sony W300i has insane battery life, which could be real useful, and from what I've seen, Sony makes a decent phone. Slaughter had one, and he got good reception and call quality, though the buttons were annoyingly small. So those would be my top picks from AT&T's lineup. Good luck! :peace:

Mav beat me to it -- I was looking a while ago, and the RAZR V3xx seemed to suit my desires quite well in a 3G regular phone that tethers through Bluetooth.

Battery life wasn't something I was considering from a laptop tether perspective, because my battery time, in all cases, was limited by my laptop, not my cellphone. If you plan on being able to plug in your laptop, keep a spare phone charger in your laptop bag and plug in your phone, too.

Also, the RAZRv3xx was on a special deal not too long ago, where I could get one for something like $50 with a 2-year contract. You can probably get one pretty cheap.

oddly enough I have a Motorola V3 RAZR which is an earlier version than the v3xx I believe.

I think I need to find out some information and I could possibly just use this phone...but the bluetooth connection on the laptop asks me to put in my username and password for my cell provider and I have no idea what those are. Anyone know how I could find those out?

www.howardforums.com

Best cell phone resource

Also, Moto's don't all have the worst battery life...a lot of LG's really suck...then again, LG doesn't make anything that's truly great, they're kind of the jack of all trades master of none type phones.

For reception, you just can't top moto, also, with my old e815 (a moto), I was downloading faster on the EVDO network than any of our air-cards here at work in the same locations. It's all 'bout the reception, especially if you're using it for a modem. The stronger your signal, the faster you go.

SJ also has a point

You could always just get separate service from someone like VZW (which is really very fast depending on where you are) and just getting an air-card. It's a little less complicated, but it means signing another contract. The plus-side is that you don't have to stay with your current provider.

However, if you're planning on going over-seas with this thing, don't get Verizon, they use EVDO/CDMA and the rest of the world doesn't. For US travel though, they're pretty good--though wireless internet is nowhere near as good as it should be yet.

actually someone had the Verizon service out at my house on their laptop and it was abysmal. Also it costs another $60 a month vs. the extra $20 a month it would cost me for unlimited data transfer through Cingular.

I'm looking into HowardForums right now

go to www.amazon.com and sign up for your service there. Instead of paying 150 bucks for my Sony 810i. I got it for free when I renewed.

I like my sony, but If I were you, Id got for the SLVR(its free also) with a contract.

the SLVR is cool, but I don't like the unprotected keys. I've saw a ton of broken bar-style phones when I worked as an Agent.

Playaa, it's good that you know your coverage...it varies in each area. For instance, on the east coast in any major city, the Verizon EVDO network is smoking fast, but on the west coast...not so good.

Man, all this is just making me want FIOS