Linux Newb

ZesteR

my best advice to you is download it, burn it to a CD and install it. Ubuntu is very user friendly, I personally like debian of all the distro's..

I've been learning linux myself over the past year and a half and it is an ever ongoing process. With that said, use all of the online resources you have available. Pick up a Linux for noobs type of book at your local bookstore or look on amazon.com. Look to see if there are any classes in your area for the Linux+ Cert. You can never know everything about Linux but knowing where to look to find the answers is the key. All the different distro's and all of the different methods of doing different things makes it more complicated than Microsoft's Vista version fiasco.

Wow, this should become the official Linux support forum for the entire world. This is far more helpful than the standard response:

"RTFMan pages, n00b! Lololol. That thing you're trying to do is easy, it only took me five weeks to figure out and two hundred some odd steps."

Another thing to try is running a LiveCD for awhile if you don't have a spare machine. That will at least get you familiar with what driver issues you might run in to if you were to install it and let you dip your feet in the pool before diving in head-first. If you have a machine you can dedicate to the cause, then just go ahead and install it as suggested above. The level of control and the availability of free software is unparalleled, but you will spend more time administrating and it can be intimidating at times. I echo ZD, get a good n00b-oriented book. The O'Reilly (sp?) System Administration book was a good one, it's probably still good (anything with animals on the cover, in general, is a safe bet).

And seriously, the man pages are your best friend, even though you'll get sick of hearing, "N00b, it's in teh man pages n00b!"

(edited)

yea.. it is an ongoing process.. All distros are close to the same. I started installing and and playing with it back in 2003-2004? I've been using various versions for work over the past two years and I can honestly say I'm no where near knowing everything. I would say your man pages will be your best friend.

Once you start using them, then its time to start writing scripts to make it faster. For example if Im looking for a specific file, I have to type in

find . -name file.name -print

instead I put this in my bin directory and name it sfind

#!/bin/sh

find . -name $1 -print

now all I have to do is

sfind file.name

sorry Im a little bored at work today. Read the man pages n00b!

Edited by NOFX

Here is a book I recommend for a beginner. I still use mine all the time for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Easy-Steps/dp/...2070&sr=8-2

http://blog.lxpages.com/2007/02/25/top-10-...ds-for-newbies/

Remember this site for the rest of your days: http://www.howtoforge.com/

http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/

http://www.ss64.com/bash/

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bi...x&pth=/man1

Try setting up a linux web server. It will give you practice with the commands. Ubuntu server can reinstall in 10 minutes.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-704-feist...rver-setup.html

(edited)

Thanks for all those links!! I have a membership at Barnes-Noble so I'll go up there this weekend and pick up that book, ZD.

I have 2 months off from school and would like to expand my knowledge of OSs. Right now I only know MS 98, XP, and some Vista, and OS400..

It would be cool to setup a personal server... to help me learn how one works and to admin one, but what are some purposes for the server?

Also what is sparking my interest, at work, we are a horse racing track that uses a VMS system to communicate. In a few months we are switching to Linux, something feora (sp?)... It would be awesome to have a jump on what I'm going to have to learn anyways.

thanks again. :stretch:

Edited by ZesteR

I did some research and my work is going to be running Red Hat's Fedora Core 6.

I went to barnes & noble and they did not have that book you suggested ZD. I will go there again and see if they can get it for me so I dont have to pay shipping costs.

I'm not sure what to do.

Ubuntu? Red Hat?

Is one better or easier?

if your environment is fc rh, learn that. a distro is a distro is a distro. imo, redhat is as easy to learn as ubuntu, plus it will get you comfy with rpms.

in the past, i've done home servers for:

- file sharing, running samba/smb to share a massive storage drive (mp3, divx, etc)

- local mail/web server, particularly when living with a lot of roommates. it's funny how often we'd email each other instead of going down the hall to knock on a door

- inet gateway. kinda replaced by the simple linksys router, but still fun.

- asterisk voip pbx. i still use it for this, and it's fun, provides cheap phone service, and is uber 1337 when someone calls your home and gets an auto attendant greeting:

" to speak with sj, press 1. to donate money, press 2. to leave a complaint, please hang up and try your number again."

the hardest part for me is motivating to do it. i can't bring myself to learn something unless there's an immediate need for it.

I did some research and my work is going to be running Red Hat's Fedora Core 6.

I went to barnes & noble and they did not have that book you suggested ZD. I will go there again and see if they can get it for me so I dont have to pay shipping costs.

I'm not sure what to do.

Ubuntu? Red Hat?

Is one better or easier?

If your work is going to use Fedora, then you should learn that. The difference between that and Ubuntu are minor but major enough that you should learn what you will be using for work. Grab that book used on Amazon.com. You can get it for around 10 bucks used; just keep in mind that the book is for the basics only. Any advance linux administration stuff is learned by trial and error.

Thanks guys!

Right now I see having a file sharing server for personal usage and learning.

I'm sure work will be glad to hear that I am investing into the company lol. I wonder if I can get reimbursed for the books.

the one RH book was 40 and the other 50, but ill get a basic learning one first.

(edited)

Scientific Games, Inc.

It's main office is in Alphretta, GA.

They own Autotote. Which contracts out horse racing betting contracts. Systems and machines to Horse/Dog/Sports betting tracks. They also own many of the Lottery systems for all of the east coast states. PA included.

They are contracted to soon convert to sending it's data from Philadelphia Park's Hub to a new East Coast QDC (I think Quest Data Center) They are using the RH FC 6 Linux. So that means all of our consoles will be linux gui.

Of course they plan on training us when all is said and done, but they said that when we recieved the new betting machines. (self taught)

Edited by ZesteR

I'm sure work will be glad to hear that I am investing into the company lol. I wonder if I can get reimbursed for the books.

the one RH book was 40 and the other 50, but ill get a basic learning one first.

If not, and you itemize your taxes, you should look into claiming them as an uncompensated business expense, since it's a work-related skill.

(edited)
Linux Pocket Guide (amazon link)

reference style - simple

TY, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I understand what I'm doing :P

At this point in time, I'm really wanting to know the basics, so I got that book online that ZD suggested.

I also got a older version of RH Fedora Core 4 and book for $7 bucks. It's one of those Bible ones. I wonder if there is huge differences between 4 and 6?

If you really want to impress your bosses, learn iptables. This read through is probably the best online resource available (that I know of anyway) for learning it.

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/ipt...s-tutorial.html

I have 2 months b4 I have to focus my work on school classes and more coding in Cobol and RPG. This sounds like a great thing to spend my free boring time at work. thanks again.

Edit: after taking a look at that... I'm gonna need a lot of time, lol. great info though

If not, and you itemize your taxes, you should look into claiming them as an uncompensated business expense, since it's a work-related skill.

That sounds like a good idea, I've made a note/task in my phone to remind of this and where I put the receipt when tax time is upon us.

Thanks so much guys! :peace:

Edited by ZesteR

I also got a older version of RH Fedora Core 4 and book for $7 bucks. It's one of those Bible ones. I wonder if there is huge differences between 4 and 6?

:lol:

Seriously, it should be alright, worth the money spent at least, but there are probably going to be some significant differences in some places.

Especially since FC 7 is out now.

Though I guess nothing's stopping you from installing FC4, working with the book, and upgrading later once you have a handle on the basics. As I recall, they issue a new core number every 6 months, so it's not like you'd be really "far behind".

(edited)
Seriously, it should be alright, worth the money spent at least, but there are probably going to be some significant differences in some places.

Especially since FC 7 is out now.

Though I guess nothing's stopping you from installing FC4, working with the book, and upgrading later once you have a handle on the basics. As I recall, they issue a new core number every 6 months, so it's not like you'd be really "far behind".

Yea, it's a NEW book, just has a lil red on the bottom of it, so it was a good deal. I've got a lot to play around with.

Linux, IP tables, and still playing around with Access at work and personal db's.

All I need now is my computer at my apartment and now my parent's place, so I can turn my g/f's into a server :)

Edited by ZesteR

(edited)

Others may disagree but I would recommend you not waste your time on Access. It is probably Microsoft's worst product after Windows ME and Frontpage. It is easy to use and even easier to break.

Edited by ZeroDamage

Access skillz are very useful in certain sectors of the business world, but honestly, I agree with ZD because you can now download SQL Server Express and get a good education (for free) in SQL Server 2005 (it's almost identical with some major limits on DB size and hardware scaling). Plus, you can use that T-SQL experience in Access without losing much in the transition. Ten minutes with Access at that point will get you familiar with the layout and save you a lot of time and frustration.

Of course, if Access is big in your workplace (it doesn't really sound like it would be) then familiarity would definitely be worth the time invested.

Others may disagree but I would recommend you not waste your time on Access. It is probably Microsoft's worst product after Windows ME and Frontpage. It is easy to use and even easier to break.

I agree with you that frontpage and ME were bad, but Access is still pretty good for normal, small DBs. I'm certified in it, so I know what im doing, I just want to keep my skillz up with it if I'm ever questioned at an interview or needed to do it at work.

Access skillz are very useful in certain sectors of the business world, but honestly, I agree with ZD because you can now download SQL Server Express and get a good education (for free) in SQL Server 2005 (it's almost identical with some major limits on DB size and hardware scaling). Plus, you can use that T-SQL experience in Access without losing much in the transition. Ten minutes with Access at that point will get you familiar with the layout and save you a lot of time and frustration.

Of course, if Access is big in your workplace (it doesn't really sound like it would be) then familiarity would definitely be worth the time invested.

I am using Access right now in my workplace. The betting machines have several large parts lists. Each machine has it's own DB. I'm working on creating the DB for the newest machine (BetJet). I create reports for parts requests and inventory. It's rather easy with Access, since I'm familiar with it.

I understand there is other DB software that are superior to Access, but right now, it's what I know and I'll continue to use it until I learn another down the road in my college classes.

I recently was transfered to a different division. I have basically became their linux guy, They are really pushing to use Fedora 7 on this release. I personally dislike it, but I am beging forced to use it, in fact, Im using it right now as I type this. Debian is by far my fav, it doesn't come loaded with all this crap that you don't want. Ubuntu is basically a glorified n00b version of debian.

Given my experience, I think you can sit there and read that book 2 times and still not know what your doing.

After you install the OS about 10-20 times you will start to get a little understanding... When I was learning I used to break the OS all the time, since I didn't know how to fix it in recovery mode, I would just reinstall.

Haha, I will be careful then, lol.

The one book is kinda a walk thru of the basics in the first chapter, then it gets into what functions you can do and how. It's nice, just big and time consuming.

As with that IPTables. If i wanted to print that it's 205 pages. lol. Maybe while I'm at work! (I can always take the paper that ppl throw away and print on the back of it)

Maybe you can get your work to pay for RedHat Certification: http://www.redhat.com/explore/training

You would at least want to take the RH033 Red Hat Linux Essentials course and possibly the next one which would get you certified as a technician. Talk to you boss about it. It would be quite valuable on your resume whether you stuck it out there long term or not.