Got the Green light

Magruter

If you have an HH Gregg around you I'd suggest checking them out. I've bought 2 big TV's, a fridge and a washer dryer from them and have been very happy. I think they are just in the Cincinnati area though.

HHGregg has its headquarters in Indianapolis, and several stores around Indiana. Not sure what other states they are in, but you can check their website for locations. They usually have good prices and very knowledgeable sales staff. You might have an easier time getting them to deal a little bit on the price. I lucked out at Bestbuy, because the model I wanted was out of stock, and I got a good deal on the model they had on the floor. even including the 4 year warranty through BB, it ended up being cheaper with the discount I got than it would have been getting the new one.

My big problem with DLP is the bulb replacement...that and (without getting too technical) what the bulb shines through doesn't hold up as long as some of the other competing technologies either.

Don't EVER buy a cheap plasma unless you're thinking of it as a temporary/secondary TV (burn-in is nasty with the less expensive units)

LCD true blacks have come a LOOOONG way. My AQUOS does not look washed out AT ALL. Nor does the laptop LCD I'm typing on right now. The blacks look nearly perfect--I was worried 'bout the same thing when I bought mine.

That being said, go projection, definitely, if you're not worried 'bout space. And buy a SONY, as far as Tube and Projection TVs, they still make the best, though their LCD's and Plasmas (which they no longer make) kinda suck compared to other high-end models that cost less. I would seriously look for an LCD projection TV though...just my 2 cents. They look dern pretty too

That being said, go projection, definitely, if you're not worried 'bout space. And buy a SONY, as far as Tube and Projection TVs, they still make the best, though their LCD's and Plasmas (which they no longer make) kinda suck compared to other high-end models that cost less. I would seriously look for an LCD projection TV though...just my 2 cents. They look dern pretty too

I'm certainly loving my sony :D

Sony does make some less expensive non-SXRD projection LCDs, but the difference in picture quality compared to the SXRD models is pretty noticeable.

We're going to wait a couple of months, it seems they only have the financing on a few select tv's that aren't in stock.. Talk about getting jacked around! The sales person smelled like B.O. kept taking me over to the $2500 TV's. Then directed me to come in on a day that he is working and buy a TV that i have to wait a month for. Was not one of the most pleasurable sales experiences. OH, he told me that the TV was going to blow up and kill all the babies in the room, that was nice. And he told me that plasma bulb should last 8000 hours... I think we're gonna wait till we can buy the TV outright.

lol, go to best buy and look at projection tvs. they'll have some kind of good financing options, and there might be a better chance that the sales guy won't smell like B.O. and talk about exploding TVs and dead babies.

Not to mention the fact that they are more likely to sell you a TV that they actually have in the store that you won't have to wait a month for.

• 4 weeks later...

that's a nice TV. My only thoughts are:

1. I've heard of last-model DLPs (I think that is one of them) having a "rainbow effect", which bothers a lot of people. I have never seen it myself, so I can't comment on it.

2. I would consider looking at a 1080p tv since that is the direction HD is going right now. 50" TVs and larger are the sizes that people can notice a bit of a difference between 720p and 1080p

the 1080 vs 720 thing I suppose would depend on what you would be using the TV for. If you plan on having an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player connected to it, then I say look for a 1080p tv to make sure you get the most out of it. Xbox 360s and PS3s both do 1080p (to varying degrees) - it's possible you would notice a difference there too. For all standard TV watching/regular DVD watching a 720p tv would be just fine.

If it's budget reasons that you are looking around that price point (and you don't want to do the 0% financing thing through best buy or something) then that's one of the better 720p TVs out there. Sony also makes 720p LCD projection TVs around that price range that I would look at as well. You definitely need to go to the store and actually look at them for the side-by-side comparison, and of course ask to see what regular DVDs or something might look like on them - some TVs do upconversion better than others!

hope this was helpful!

GLHF

They are both over priced for 720p/1080i IMO

Is this why I received a crazy phone call last night? (Sorry I was playing the Guitar Hero III demo and my phone was set to silent). I was going to call you back on my way to work but I figured you probably wouldn't appreciate the 6:30am wakeup call from Canada.

again, I would really really recommend you look at this model in person (and others that are comparable) if you haven't already before making a purchase. If you have already seen it in person, then pull the trigger :D

That is one of the newer slim line models... nice. I would compare it to the 1080p model they have as well. And samsung makes some of the best DLP tv's out there.

compare the picture to some of the nicer LCD TV's by sharp and sony for a picture comparison while at the store.

I did at Circuit City recently, and settled on the 42" Sharp Aquos.. which will be purchased in January.

Edited by benjester