Attention Ebay Users!!!

anonymo

you can't take your CC off without closing your sellers account. you can't close your seller's account without ebays help.

nice:

"Before closing your account review the following important information.

* Waiting period – If you've listed or bid on an item recently, eBay imposes a waiting period of up to 180 days before closing your account. The waiting period helps ensure that any transactions are complete. During the waiting period, you won't be able to bid, make purchases, list items, or change your contact information - but you'll still have access to your account information. "

and lol:

"AgentPhyllis M.

I'd like to thank you for your pro-activeness in helping us keep eBay a safe place to trade. Trust that you're report will not go unnoticed.

12:49:09 AgentPhyllis M.

Please disregard the previous message. I experienced a system error"

how do you close your seller's account... I would like to... but can't seem to locate the area to close it.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/closing-account.html

BUT

if you've bought or sold anything in the past 180 days, you can't outright close your account. you can request that they remove your credit card and/or bank account info, but that's a manual process. it took them less than 12 hours to remove my cc and bank info yesterday:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/closing-account.html#rem

First off, I would like to ask everyone here, why on earth do you have your bank account info and credit card info stored in your ebay account?

I use paypal to buy and sell everything on ebay and that is where all my information is.

If you are a seller, any eBay selling fees will be charged to your chosen account below. If you are a buyer, you can change how you pay for PayPal purchases through your PayPal account.

Checking account Routing number: Not Specified Edit

Checking account number: Not Specified

Credit card Card number: Not Specified Edit

Expiration date: Not Specified

As far as sellers fees go.. They send me an email if I owe any and I use paypal to pay for it.

Edited by NOFX

First off, I would like to ask everyone here, why on earth do you have your bank account info and credit card info stored in your ebay account?

I use paypal to buy and sell everything on ebay and that is where all my information is.

Mo too

so, uh, paypal doesn't require any of that information? and uhm, isn't paypal owned by ebay?

ebay didn't allow sellers to create accounts without bank account information in the long long ago. now you can verify with an id, but then big brother has j00, right?

because i set that up a long time ago without knowing what I was doing. I sent them a message to remove it.ebay owns paypal, do they not? so there is a good chance that security measures / procedures are shared between the two... so is there just as much risk to paypal having your info... yes. it's not like paypal has never been hacked...

how do you close your seller's account... I would like to... but can't seem to locate the area to close it.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/closing-account.htmlBUTif you've bought or sold anything in the past 180 days, you can't outright close your account. you can request that they remove your credit card and/or bank account info, but that's a manual process. it took them less than 12 hours to remove my cc and bank info yesterday:http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/closing-account.html#rem
Thank you sir!!

paypal does have that information and is owned by ebay, but they are two completely different accounts. It is easily possible to have one of the accounts without the other.

The article only says ebay account were compromised. If someone has my ebay account information, all they know is my address

you make it sound entirely unreasonable to have any account information anywhere on teh internets, and then you've got it with paypal. if someone gets my paypal, all they have is a prompt asking for my unique, random, and temporary security key. as mo mentioned, and like i think most people will agree, this is probably just the tip of the ice_berge.

i also forgot to mention that i have an isolated bank account for online transactions (including paypal). if someone gets that account, they've got it for the amount i set aside for that transaction, not my entire moneys.

eBay...they suck

PayPal, they also suck

Your accounts are not secure with either really, that's why I don't have ANY bank account info linked to either. Only credit cards. See, 'cause you can call up a credit card company and say "Hey, I didn't get that item" or "Hey, I didn't authorize that transaction," and they cancel it for you...instantly.

PayPal ripped me off by charging the wrong account, and I'll never do business with them again if I can help it. Don't believe me? Then why do sites like THIS exist?

I mean, your customer service has to suck pretty bad to get someone to start a business to deal with them for customers that just don't have the time. In addition, they have a nasty tendency to freeze accounts for no reason at all that they will explain to you...

paypal does have that information and is owned by ebay, but they are two completely different accounts. It is easily possible to have one of the accounts without the other.

The article only says ebay account were compromised. If someone has my ebay account information, all they know is my address

and if someone hacks your paypal account, they have more then just your address, don't they... come on now... we can go around and around on this... it's all in the security that companies provide... and let's face it... most companies can do more for security, even paypal.

eBay...they suck

PayPal, they also suck

Your accounts are not secure with either really, that's why I don't have ANY bank account info linked to either. Only credit cards. See, 'cause you can call up a credit card company and say "Hey, I didn't get that item" or "Hey, I didn't authorize that transaction," and they cancel it for you...instantly.

PayPal ripped me off by charging the wrong account, and I'll never do business with them again if I can help it. Don't believe me? Then why do sites like THIS exist?

I mean, your customer service has to suck pretty bad to get someone to start a business to deal with them for customers that just don't have the time. In addition, they have a nasty tendency to freeze accounts for no reason at all that they will explain to you...

Yeah the only monetary information of mine that exists online is my Visa, which I have to worries about its security as VISA (at least in my 10 years with one) has never let me down. (they even cut me off in 5 minutes when I used my VISA in Rome because I forgot to tell them I was going <3 VISA)

sj - i like the idea of having a separate back account for all online transactions

I definitely need one as I do alot of my online banking requires a bank account (student loans, insurance etc,)

Now if I could only come up with enough money to have TWO different checking accounts...

well... sorry if I came off as if I don't store any information on the internet, I just don't store any personal information for a site whos main job isn't handling my finances.

there are only two places on the internet that have my debit card/bank account information stored.

1. Paypal, which its sole purpose is to easily transfer money for millions of people(which in the past has done a good job at refunding money, phony sale on eBay)

2. My Firstrade online stock account, which purpose is to handle money transactions.

Edited by NOFX