"the war" by ken burns

stutters

Powerful ending.

I feel this intense need to shake a veteran's hand and tell him thank you!

I don't know of any WW2 veterans on this board but I know of some more recent veterans. I know I will never understand what you went through and that a 'message board' thank you is insignificant and trite compared to your personal sacrifice, but I want to look you in the eye and shake your hand and say thank you.

Just finished watching the series. It was really tough seeing the concentration camp stuff for me. I've heard many many stories from family members about what happened in those camps and I still shed a tear. Its funny if that war never happened I wouldn't be alive today, my family would of all eventually been killed off......kinda strange to take a step back and think about that.

After watching that entire series I kind of feel emotionally drained and a little numb.....dunno where I'm going with this post so I'll just stop typing. Oh and if you haven't watched this series I highly suggest you do. And if you have children that are old enough to view horrible images of war and death, I would suggest that you sit down with them and help them understand what makes this country so great and to help them appreciate what those before them did to ensure their freedom.

I wish they would have shown the British and Russian sides too but for what they were aiming at I really liked it. I had to switch the channel when they were running the segment about the death camps.

As Mossad said it's almost impossible to comprehend the destruction of WWII including the deathcamps. While war is always terrible and I am not putting this in to downplay our soldiers in Iraq, we have lost around 3,000 (Not sure of the number) after being in for around 4 years. While the Russians lost an estimated 7 million soldiers and 27 million civillians. The numbers are simply too big to seem accurate.

Just finished watching the series. It was really tough seeing the concentration camp stuff for me. I've heard many many stories from family members about what happened in those camps and I still shed a tear. Its funny if that war never happened I wouldn't be alive today, my family would of all eventually been killed off......kinda strange to take a step back and think about that.

After watching that entire series I kind of feel emotionally drained and a little numb.....dunno where I'm going with this post so I'll just stop typing. Oh and if you haven't watched this series I highly suggest you do. And if you have children that are old enough to view horrible images of war and death, I would suggest that you sit down with them and help them understand what makes this country so great and to help them appreciate what those before them did to ensure their freedom.

Have you visited a Holocaust museum? They have one near Detroit and my church teen group went there. From what I hear it was a very moving experience. They had an actual holocaust survivor speak.