Laptop up AGAIN...

[LaW]Maverick

(edited)

Ok, so I'll call back and ask them what the deal is (it's still up there)....but honestly, how big a deal do you think it really is? I mean, that's a special OEM copy designed for that laptop with some wonky drivers on it. Shouldns't the CD-Key match up with that in the MS database of CD-Keys?

They really should be able to remove it....I don't see why they wouldn't be able to...unless they have it set up as one big picture..I dunno. I'll give 'em a call.

Edit: They use their own host software, so they weren't able to remove the picture itself. However, they are going to take the auction down and re-post it. It'll go up tonight. I basically told them that I don't want Microsoft coming after us because we illegally published one of their CD-Keys.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

the cd key doesn't "match up" to the pc at all really.

what happens when you activate XP Pro is that it is stored somewhere with some algorithm that identifies that pc. you can do that 3 times or until the pc is changed drastically enough that it is seen as a different pc. Then you call them up, tell them that's the only pc it's on and you start the cycle again.

if someone else has the key, they can basically do the same thing and possibly make it so that you can't authenticate any of your pcs with that key.

Sorry, but that key won't work for OSX.

Thank you, come again!

:D

actually, i'm due for my quarterly windows reinstall. you know, that time when .dll's start mismatching, and random registry keys flaking out, and you have the pleasure of seeing the shutdown screen more than once per day. i kid i kid, it's not that bad, but windows gets cranky if it goes without getting it's diaper changed every 3 months or so.

love,

sj