Build a ping pong table?

Playaa

So I've always wanted a Ping Pong table. It's fun, it's a good cardio workout if you're fat like me and it's fun. Also it's fun.

Anyway, I finally have space for one in my house so I want one.

However...because I now have a house...I'm broke.

I want to build my own table.

It's relatively easy to find the proper dimensions and information on how to build a basic Ping Pong table...but I want one that can fold up like the kind you buy in stores. It doesn't have to be completely foldable or portable...I just want something where one side can fold up so I can play solo ping pong if I just need to burn off some steam or calories or frighten someone with my prowess.

anyone have a clue how to go about this? or have a ping pong table that they could take pictures of the hinges for me?

ooh ooh

I'm not sure what you want for the surface, but maybe something smooth, like the particle board covered in white melamine(sp)?

but if you cut that to dimensions, and then cut it in half and toss some hinges on the back side. Then just buy some foldable sawhorses, or make a simple stand out of wood, to set it on.

I bet you can purchase the net....

OR.... you could google for how to build a ping pong table

Note, if you have a hinge in the middle, then you probably want 4 sets of legs instead of 2, like the picture.

Edited by Bewildered

all the places I find online only tell you how to build a solid table, not one that can fold.

Also, it's not as simple as a normal hinge because it has to be able to balance when it folds up which means the legs either need to fold or detach.

most places I've seen so far suggest using MDF as the table.

I bet you can purchase the net....

???, profit!

is this how you're going to be ending all of your "schemes" from here on out (whether it applies or not)? just checking... :D

Edited by boilersax

Things I need to figure out:

- what sort of hinges to put on to allow either side of the table to fold up (or both sides at the same time)

- whether it's easy to get it to fold up both sides at the same time (for storage obviously)

- what sort of paint to use to give the surface a smooth texture

- how to anchor it so that it doesn't tip over when one side is folded up (i.e., how much does one side weigh?)

- what sort of lumber to use (Particle Board, MDF, Masonite)

- how awesome I am

NOTE: you should be building a beer pong table instead.

I used to have a table that folded like that, and in fact both sides folded up and it was then on wheels so you could store / move it, but that died in a house fire. Try googling for pictures for an idea possibly.

Edit: Kind of like this:

ping%20pong%20tennis%20table.jpeg

Edited by ilovetomatoes

I have a fold up one that I'm taking from my parent's house to storage b/c everything I left there is turning into "free for all, take w/e u want"

When I am taking it apart, I will take pictures of the hinged, bracketrs, legs.

It's a fold up one that is 9ft, it's huge. It came in 4 sections that needed to be bracketed together for strength..

let me know and ill get around doing it.